Fuji Why Fujifilm Should NOT Make a Full Frame Camera

And for as much as I'd love fuji to keep churning out awesome aps-c products, FF is the next logical step. It sucks that means a new lens lineup, but a fuji FF with Leica and Voigt lenses??? Sign me up...

It's a "logical" step? No, it's a desirable step that YOU want. It's not logical at all -- especially considering the arguments I made earlier. I think you should just go buy a Sony, lol. This will dilute Fuji at a critical time and I'm hoping they don't get pulled further into the consumer mirrorless like the X-A1 and XC lenses too much for the same reason.

I'd like to see them focused on getting the most out of the technology they've already developed and keep the prices of it down because of economy of scale. Making a wide variety of low volume products only works when you can charge very high prices... like Leica for instance. Interestingly, Leica knows better than to just keep churning out bodies at a ridiculous rate -- again something I'd like to see Fuji avoid.

And based on the things Rico is saying, it's not analogous to the full frame and APS-C designs of DSLR's which both have relatively large flange back lengths.

I agree Fuji should stick with APS-C for the interchangeable lens products. Broadly speaking I'm of the opinion that APS-C is an ideal format for this type of camera.One of the attractions of mirrorless is, of course, size. Given the larger bodies and lenses required for FF then I feel the differential between SLR and mirrorless is lessened - they're both cumbersome to carry around so why not take the SLR?

Fixed Lens is a different matter in my opinion. When the X100 came out at £1000 it was hardly inexpensive but it was different (in that there weren't too many direct competitors) and it sold surprisingly well. Now I'm not saying that I would pay £2000 for a FF X100 but there's probably plenty that would (assuming it was small enough, had great IQ and good build/aesthetics) and you could see Fuji carving out a good niche here.

If they made a FF X100S it'd probably be another $1000 or so on top of the price, but on the other hand I guess it would mean I could sell my RX1 and X100S and just have one camera instead, lol.

A FF X-trans sensor would be interesting to see from a technical standpoint though. With APS-C X-trans punching a bit above its weight in resolution and noise I'd be curious how it'd scale to a larger chip.

If they made a FF X100S it'd probably be another $1000 or so on top of the price, but on the other hand I guess it would mean I could sell my RX1 and X100S and just have one camera instead, lol. .

But that's the point: Making an expensive camera for those who simply gotta ave the best, no matter what it costs and whether they actually need it.

I am looking forward to my review sample. :)

People are irrational, my darn watch cost me around 6,000 dollars, and it's not even as precise as any cheap quartz watch for 60 bucks. And yet, I like it and don't even fell bad that I once bought it.

If they made a FF X100S it'd probably be another $1000 or so on top of the price, but on the other hand I guess it would mean I could sell my RX1 and X100S and just have one camera instead, lol.

Just out of interest, and image quality aside, which one do you prefer using? Do you feel more 'involved' with the X100?

Sent from my iPhone using FujiXspot mobile app

Just out of interest, and image quality aside, which one do you prefer using? Do you feel more 'involved' with the X100?

Good question... I like them both a lot, if I had to pick one for usage reasons probably the X100S would get the nod because of the built-in viewfinder and ND filter.

The RX1 EVF is excellent, I'd say the best I've ever used... but - I don't like the clunky add-on feel, and I can't use a flash or flash trigger at the same time as the EVF. On the X100S I can do both flash + OVF/EVF, and the Fuji flash support (as meager as it is) is still better than the Sony's. The movable AF points "grid" on the X100S is also better for me, though as an alternative the RX1 does offer point tracking AF and face detection that work reasonably well.

On the RX1 the controls are very intuitive and comfortable for me and I rarely if ever use the menus while shooting, which is just the way I like it. The auto-ISO implementation combined with Manual mode fits my preferred way of working also. Oh, and I find it very convenient as a carry-around camera with the Hoocap so I can snap the hood/cap open and closed as needed to keep it protected without keeping track of a lens cap. Awesome!

Realistically if the RX1 had a built-in viewfinder I'd almost certainly never have bought the X100S. But things being what they are, I shoot both cameras regularly despite the seeming overlap in form & function.

Thanks, that's interesting. The built in viewfinder, for me, is one of the main reasons I own an X100 and I don't really 'get' the idea of a quality large sensor camera with LCD screen only.

I looked at the RX100 a few times when my X10 was in for warranty repairs but I just didn't feel connected to it somehow. The Sony products seem very well built and logical and have great IQ but although the Fuji products are quirky (at times even a little annoying) they appeal much more to the emotions.
I

Sent from my iPhone using FujiXspot mobile app

I immediately thought of the wonderful medium format fixed lens cameras Fuji put out for film. If they did think of putting out a full frame model, I think they would be wiser to base it on the x100 than the interchangeable lens system cameras. Those old medium format fujis were wonderful with terrific lenses. I have the GS645S (6x4.5 naturally), a fixed, slightly wide lens rangefinder (60mm, about 35 or so in ff 35mm terms) that I wouldn't part with for the world.

If they did full frame in that manner they would not have to commit resources to an entirely different lens line, and with hybrid finders they have already bought to such a nice point, I think they could sell. I have no idea if the investment in finite resources would be worth it, but it would less going this route, designing and building just a camera, than it would be trying to bring out a whole new system.

Just a thought -- because I love those old fixed lens Fujis.

Back