Fuji Why is everyone dumping their X100s?

Well, here in Melbourne the X100s is as scarce as hen's teeth. None of the major stores have any in stock, so I have been placed on a waiting list for mine. The store told me that it would be about three weeks. I can't wait. As for price competition, the best I could get was $50 below RRP. One store had their price set at $100 more than RRP.

Mine is going NOWHERE! I adore this camera. It'll be a keeper as long as I have breath in my body. I was taking some shots of my wife the other day and I blurted out
"I love you, I worship you"
"Honey, that's a nice thing to say"
"No, no.....I was talking to the camera"

I still love it, even after the 6 hour operation to remove it from my rear end!

Mine is going NOWHERE! I adore this camera. It'll be a keeper as long as I have breath in my body. I was taking some shots of my wife the other day and I blurted out
"I love you, I worship you"
"Honey, that's a nice thing to say"
"No, no.....I was talking to the camera"

I still love it, even after the 6 hour operation to remove it from my rear end!

Too funny! If you would have only left the camera on video mode, you could have canceled your next colonoscopy!

Well, here in Melbourne the X100s is as scarce as hen's teeth. None of the major stores have any in stock, so I have been placed on a waiting list for mine. The store told me that it would be about three weeks. I can't wait. As for price competition, the best I could get was $50 below RRP. One store had their price set at $100 more than RRP.

Cameras Direct on the Gold Coast, QLD, currently have 6 in stock, they had eleven units this time last week. Search results for: 'fujifilm x100s digital camera fuji australia warranty'

As someone who pre-ordered the X100S, used it for 6 months and recently sold it, I can only speak for myself and I'm sure my experience was somewhat atypical, but I simply didn't care for the look of the files, preferring those of my 5DII, for what I like to shoot. The X100S itself is a wonderful camera and I haven't enjoyed shooting with a camera as much since my Olympus OM-1 SLR, but it was, as said above, a pretty expensive luxury to keep around, especially for that reason only. I sold mine locally (for about a $200 loss), but it took a while as there wasn't nearly as much interest as I expected there to be. That said, I'm plenty happy to have basically rented it for 6 months for a reasonable price. I'd definitely consider picking up an X100 in the future (I'll wait to see what the rumoured firmware update holds), but for now I picked up a 40mm f2.8 to use on my 5DII as an inexpensive way to hold me over.

Isn't it amazing how cameras have become almost disposable items now. People used to keep their cameras until they (the owner died) as they did their cars. I remember my 1st colour TV (Mitsubishi) which I purchased for £350 in 1978. That was a huge amount then. It had a 21 inch screen and you had to get out of your seat to turn it up or change channels. It seems that home electronics have set people on a path of expectation with its cheapness compares to years ago. Latest TV, Camera, mobile/cell phone, there is always something new which we are in thrall of. I am as much an addict as anyone else...though I try to keep it at bay.

Canon IXUS, PAnny GF2 with 14mm and 25mm lens, Ricohh GRD3, Canon 50D, Canon 5D Mk 2 with 3 x L lenses, Fuji XE-1, X100S, Canon 6D.... a brief dally with Leica M6 with 21mm Zeiss glass........................all of them have been through or are still in my hands. Gawd help us all..........we're doomed Captain Mainwaring, doomed I tell ye!

As someone who pre-ordered the X100S, used it for 6 months and recently sold it, I can only speak for myself and I'm sure my experience was somewhat atypical, but I simply didn't care for the look of the files, preferring those of my 5DII, for what I like to shoot. The X100S itself is a wonderful camera and I haven't enjoyed shooting with a camera as much since my Olympus OM-1 SLR, but it was, as said above, a pretty expensive luxury to keep around, especially for that reason only. I sold mine locally (for about a $200 loss), but it took a while as there wasn't nearly as much interest as I expected there to be. That said, I'm plenty happy to have basically rented it for 6 months for a reasonable price. I'd definitely consider picking up an X100 in the future (I'll wait to see what the rumoured firmware update holds), but for now I picked up a 40mm f2.8 to use on my 5DII as an inexpensive way to hold me over.

As an owner of 5DM2 and many L and one Zeiss lenses (2/35), I second your opinion on the lack of IQ and "characters" on the X100S pictures. They require much more post-processing to bring out the 'pop' I'm used to.

But, since I got mine used, at a good price and because it was to replace my old Canon S95, I'm going to try to like this X100S.

If I were coming from an entry-level DSLR and a kit lens, maybe I'd appreciate the X100S more. But then again, maybe not if I have to pay above MSRP (or even at MSRP).
A $600 X100 or $800 Ricoh GR V makes a much better proposition.

As an owner of 5DM2 and many L and one Zeiss lenses (2/35), I second your opinion on the lack of IQ and "characters" on the X100S pictures. They require much more post-processing to bring out the 'pop' I'm used to.

For me it wasn't a lack of IQ or character to the images, it was more about the general look of the files (particularly those that included a lot of foliage, subjects at a distance, or photos taken with a polarizer). I never found a lack of 'pop' as you say - in fact, perhaps I found the opposite and as such I felt the photos tended to look a bit unnatural or more like an illustration or painting than a photograph. For close up subjects, portraits and general candids I was quite pleased - but $1,300 is a lot of money for a camera to only use in those situations, which was my justification for selling it despite really enjoying shooting with it.

For me it wasn't a lack of IQ or character to the images, it was more about the general look of the files (particularly those that included a lot of foliage, subjects at a distance, or photos taken with a polarizer). I never found a lack of 'pop' as you say - in fact, perhaps I found the opposite and as such I felt the photos tended to look a bit unnatural or more like an illustration or painting than a photograph. For close up subjects, portraits and general candids I was quite pleased - but $1,300 is a lot of money for a camera to only use in those situations, which was my justification for selling it despite really enjoying shooting with it.

Good info, and not the first time Ive heard this about the "look" of the photos...even more of a reason why I'm glad I got the original X100 on the used market...

Good info, and not the first time Ive heard this about the "look" of the photos...even more of a reason why I'm glad I got the original X100 on the used market...

Between the original X100 and the X-Trans sensor cameras I definitely prefer the look of the X100 files. That said - the X-trans sensor really buys some serious latitude in high ISO shots if you can live with some of the detail smoothing that I found tends to occur, even in the RAW files. I was stunned by some of the ISO 6400 shots I captured - pretty much noise free.

Back