Why we should pay for Flickr.

Nor if you live in a country where amazon doesn't operate at all.
(There's more than you'd think. New Zealand and Ireland are two that I lived in.)

Not if you’e in Australia. Its limited to 5GB. Pretty useless. (Actually just wandered off to check and storage isnt even listed for Australia. I thought we had some but apparently not)

I forgot about the outside world! :roflmao: jk

In that case, Flickr isn't so bad. Saying that, they really need to add more customization. For example, I can't customize individual albums to have separate download permissions. In fact there isn't much control besides controlling copyright usage, image and/or album privacy.

Last edited:
In that case, Flickr isn't so bad. Saying that, they really need to add more customization. For example, I can't customize individual albums to have separate download permissions. In fact there isn't much control besides controlling copyright usage, image and/or album privacy.

I agree. Especially things like album download permission you would think they could add easily.
Flickr definitely hasn't kept up with the times - and I'm not sure the new owners will turn that ship around in any meaningful way.

And yet - flickr still offers a value to some of us. Let's hope it will flourish again.
Maybe a reduced (but more engaged) user-base will take it back somewhat to it's early days - before it got too big for its own good...

I have the iCloud 2T account that is shared by my family of 5.
That is my primary backup beside two old fashion hard drives.

Now days I keep using flickr because people still upload some incredible images on there everyday.
But I won't buy into Flickr Pro.

But, I will be really surprised if it survives.
They need to offer more than just unlimited storage as an incentive to invest.

I primarily use Flickr to research photo opportunities, and gear that I am considering / idly wondering about. I don’t use it as much as a couple of years ago but I think it’s still useful. For the price it’s not bad value. I have a free six month SmugMug subscription, and I’m also developing my own website. Maybe one/both of those will eventually replace Flickr for me, but not soon.

This year is my 10th anniversary is a Flickr member. I've been a Pro member for so long that I qualified for the grandfather clause of having unlimited uploads with my Pro membership.

10 years ago I was just getting into photography and I was enthusiastic. I shared my photos here in this forum back when it was still called Serious Compacts, I joined the Flickr communities and shared my photos there too. I am still a member of this forum of course but I lost my enthusiasm for the Flickr community a long time ago.

I didn't (and still don't) understand the algorithms that scored thousands of hits for some photos/people with mediocre photos, while better photographers had far less views. I was also hit by a few scummy types who favourited my photo simply to make an obvious fake comment about how good my photos are while also saying "please go to my page and favourite my photos too". That was when I realised how fake and superficial this community thing can be.

I've since stopped participating in the Flickr community but I kept up with the Flickr Pro membership because it allowed me to store and share my photos in this forum and with other people. For example:

• I use it to share my private family photos with extended family.
  • I also use it as a way to sort my photos with tags so I can find things very quickly anywhere I go and share it with ad hoc people via direct links.
  • I use Flickr to compile albums and share it with colleagues and/or friends if I photographed a work-related event or a party I attended with friends/colleagues.
  • If I photographed a wedding as a paid photographer, I'd open a new Flickr account and upload all the photos there in the correct order/chronology to make it easy for the wedding couple and their family/friends to view the photos. I'd then give the password of the account to them to take ownership of it. Of course I'd also give them all copies of the full res photos on a USB stick as a backup or to print from.

Anyway, Flickr made my photography life easy to navigate.

I think Flickr had been under-priced for years, I had no complaints about SmugMug raising the annual fee. I currently have 22,000+ photos in my account, amounting to about 0.17TB. It'd be a pain to lose all those tags and compiled albums if Flickr shuts down.

Last edited:
I had 3000 photos but only about 1GB as I never uploaded full-size images. I was paying $44.95 per 2 years. That may have been USD rather than AUD. I was not happy with the price increase so downloaded the whole lot just to be safe in case I could not find the originals and deleted all but 300 images. No longer a Pro user.

I really only used Flickr for file sharing and definitely not storage.

It was just a blatant money grab. Flickr went wrong by diminishing the original value of the Pro account by changing what you got in the free account. Then stuffed up the repair of that.

Definitely wasted my dosh. Ignore everything I said about paying for flickr, it has finally gone beyond the pale, for me. Email this morning, more price rises.
  • 1 month: $7.99, tax inclusive
  • 3 month: $21.99, tax inclusive
  • 1 year: $71.88, tax inclusive
  • 2 year: $139.88, tax inclusive
You can renew now at last year’s prices. No thanks. $71.88 US is $105 AUD. Over the top, and over and out. Not even sure I will stay on after my current expires.

Here in Canada I they showed me the prices in CAD... Maybe they showed AUD already, Sue???

Definitely wasted my dosh. Ignore everything I said about paying for flickr, it has finally gone beyond the pale, for me. Email this morning, more price rises.
You can renew now at last year’s prices. No thanks. $71.88 US is $105 AUD. Over the top, and over and out. Not even sure I will stay on after my current expires.

I'm with Sue, this is getting fishy. $71.88 means a price increase of 40% (and why I should pay American VAT, I can't fathom). But even at $59.90: No, thanks. They even threaten to reduce formerly free services for ex-Pros (it's about Pixsy - not too relevant for me, but still). Not a policy I can live with; I'm now contemplating cancelling my entire account as well. A couple of days remain - time to think about it.

M.

I just brought a years subscription at the current price. With GST it was around $74.50 Australian.

also signed up for the 2 years extra - at ~47USD per year still a good deal.

Haven't found any alternatives that work for me yet (e.g any photoservice that displays thumbnails only as a square crop is a complete non-starter for me personally)

I'll just buy one used camera less (that I don't need - and won't use much) and that'll pay for it 🙃

Back