Fuji Why would you change?

Hi everybody,

I own a Canon G1x for about 8 month and though I am quiet happy with the camery, i am sincerely interrested in the new Fuji x20 for a few reasons.

- the faster lens (important for street photography and other moments to catch quickly)
- the slightly smaller size
- the macro capabilities ( you need additional, expensive lenses for the Canon G1x and the mounting of them, with the optional adapter ring doesn't help for a quick shot, insects for example)
- personally I love the vintage look of the x20/x10 although the bulky look of the Canon has his charm
- I cannot compare the IQ for the moment, I hope the new sensor will improve the low-light capacities of the X20 (the reason I chose the Canon over the Fuji)
- and of course, the new viewfinder I expect to be a lot better than the peep hole of the Canon G1x

So here is the question to all non-Fuji owners:
why would you change and switch to a Fuji X20

Thanks for your answers
Fred

I think you just listed them all!

For me, I have an RX100 and some m43 gear, then I have a larger full frame DSLR. I want to see if the X20 can replace the RX100 and/or m43 gear. I am not sure I could make that decision based off the spec sheet. I'm really going to need to shoot with it to make the call, IMO.

I could see the allure guys. But I think the X20 is going to be a complement to your RX100or or G1X. The size of those bigger sensors will mean they'll have the edge on the X20 if you're "pixel peeping."

Although most of the time that won't matter, and you will likely end up carrying the X20 if it's more fun to shoot (vs. RX100) and/or easier to carry (vs. G1X).

Do post your findings if you change to an X20, will be interesting.

I can't comment on the X20 but i have an X10 and it completely replaced my m43 camera for a few reasons.

1. It's fun to shoot (I'll come back this later)
2. the UI and ergonomics are very VERY good
3. The IQ is not that different than my 12mp m43 camera(s)
4. The zoom lens on the X10 is fast (f2-2.8), sharp wide open and a really useful range
5. I found I preferred the SOOC Fuji JPEG color to the Olympus color (and Panasonic color)
6. The OVF is handy to have when you need it
7. The Fuji files seem to respond really well when you work them in LR and Photoshop
8. Man it feels good in the hand
9. It's REALLY fun to shoot (I told you I'd come back to this later)

I can't comment on the X20 but i have an X10 and it completely replaced my m43 camera for a few reasons.

5. I found I preferred the SOOC Fuji JPEG color to the Olympus color (and Panasonic color)

7. The Fuji files seem to respond really well when you work them in LR and Photoshop
)

You mention you like the SOOC JPEGs but the files respond well in LR/PS. Are you manipulating the JPEGs or the RAW files?

I own a Canon G1x for about 8 month and though I am quiet happy with the camery, i am sincerely interrested in the new Fuji x20 for a few reasons.

I am in exactly the same predicament. I have a Canon G12 and a G1X, and I like and dislike both cameras for different reasons. As a recent convert to the X100, I am much less interested in shooting with either of my Canon G cameras, but I want a second camera with some telephoto capability. I am pretty much settled on picking up an X20 to complement the X100 as a second camera to complete a travel kit. Then I looked at the sensor comparison of the X20 and G1X and wondered just how much I was giving up by switching. Maybe I already had the zoom camera I needed... with a larger sensor... but then I thought about how I was really not "feeling the experience" when using the G1X, and how wonderful the X100 feels to handle and shoot, and I'm back to ordering the X20.

Such a lovely dilemma...

If Fuji's literature is to be trusted, the lack of low-pass filter should (at least partially) compensate the sensor size difference.

I could see the allure guys. But I think the X20 is going to be a complement to your RX100or or G1X. The size of those bigger sensors will mean they'll have the edge on the X20 if you're "pixel peeping."

If you've got plentiful light and shoot all three at base ISO, the difference between X20 and RX100 will be pretty slim (there's an expected 1-stop difference based on format size) and more noticeable for X20 vs G1X (expected 2.6-stop difference based on format size). When light becomes limiting, lens speed differences will intervene, and the X10 should do about as well as the Sony (a little worse at the wide end, a little better at telephoto).

You mention you like the SOOC JPEGs but the files respond well in LR/PS. Are you manipulating the JPEGs or the RAW files?

I've done both but I am shooting primarily JPEGS. I use silver Efex Pro for BW and I find that JPEGs from the X10 have a bit more latitude for working them (say in Silver Efex Pro) than I would expect from JPEGs. I would say for a small sensor camera but I think they are as good or maybe better than some files I got of my 12mp m43 cameras. I expect it's because they have pretty good DR.

So here is the question to all non-Fuji owners:
why would you change and switch to a Fuji X20
Fred

I am looking for a replacement for my old Canon G6. I held the X10 in my hands and immediately felt this could be a candidate. The X10's EXR sensor seems interesting but then there is the advanced OVF of the announced X20. I definitely will have an eye on the reviews to come.

I would say for a small sensor camera but I think they are as good or maybe better than some files I got of my 12mp m43 cameras. I expect it's because they have pretty good DR.

That's good to know. I don't know that the X10 would be the camera I would be considering, but I would assume JPEGs from the X100 with its larger sensor would respond somewhat similarly.

That's good to know. I don't know that the X10 would be the camera I would be considering, but I would assume JPEGs from the X100 with its larger sensor would respond somewhat similarly.

I would think the JPEgs from the X100 or X100s would be even better. The JPEGs I have seen from it look spectacular

I can testify that processing of both jpeg and raw files of the X10 works smoothly in LR. However, the x-trans sensor of the X20 should pose the same issues in LR/PS as the XP1/XE1 when you want to process raw files.

I am looking for a replacement for my old Canon G6. I held the X10 in my hands and immediately felt this could be a candidate. The X10's EXR sensor seems interesting but then there is the advanced OVF of the announced X20. I definitely will have an eye on the reviews to come.

Hi, otalp

oh yes, I held the Fuji x10 a few times in my hand, wondering if I made the wrong decision by buying the Canon G1x, but then, always, when I looked through the Fuji X10 OVF compared to the Canon G1X, there was no difference, the same optical tunnel, a piece of the lense blocking the view at short range. But the capability of zooming in and out by hand was quite interresting, also the switch on/off mechanism.
I think the advanced OVF can be a strong argument to buy the Fuji or, like in my case, switch the brand.
Like you I am looking desperatly for the upcoming reviews (and soon go back to the next shop to lay my hands on an X10, just for the feeling ;-)

Thanks to you and all other guys replying to my thread. I believe there are so many reasons to become a member of the "X-tribe"

Fred

I dunno about changing. If I do get myself a Fuji camera this year, it won't be in place of my G1X. The IQ from that camera can be just sublime. To a large degree it is responsible for why I didn't bite initially when the X-E1 and 18-55mm was released. Being patient on that one...

To be honest, I will stick to my ancient G6 for the moment, have a close look at the X20 reviews to come, and wait for the prices to drop. Thinking of white orbs and sticky aperture blades I will let the first production lots go into market easily.

I wanted a camera with a traditional form factor and the things I'm used to: hot shoe, normal filters, really did not want a zoom switch, a fast lens. So you can see this narrowed it down quite a bit for me.

Pixel counts don't keep me up at night, so I can certainly understand the advantages in the G1X or the RX100,
but they just didn't feel right for me. The G1X is a very accomplished package, but the macro (and even reasonably close focus) is compromised, and I was wary of a motor driven lens that didn't retract completely; boy, I could make a mess outa that ! I'd have preferred a G12 and came THIS close . . . . The RX is one more brick-shaped point+shoot for me, regardless of the big jump in technology it brings. Both are terrific cameras, but not for me.

So, like you, it will be interesting for me to see just how the X20 fares once it's on the streets. I'm very pleased with my X10, and the info in the OVF was for me all it really needed if Fuji asked. The rest of it may be a big jump if it performs as advertised. We shall see . . . .

I have never liked the looks of the Canon G1x, it reminds me of the Holga too much!View attachment 806

I am really looking forward to getting an X20 although in addition to my other gear, not to replace it. I can't see it replacing my PENs although I could be surprised.

Attachments

• holga120s1.jpg
    holga120s1.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 255
Back