WiFi security

tonyturley

Legend
Name
Tony
Our WiFi router, which was several years old, has been having hiccups recently, so I tossed it yesterday and installed a new one. I'm not crazy about the fact that I had to install an app on my phone and set up a Netgear account to set up the router, but I did. Twice while going through the setup routine, I got a message on my phone saying "Someone is trying to access your account. Is this you?". Twice I pressed "Deny".

Now I'm not the most tech savvy person around, but I would think the setup routine wouldn't be flagging my own log-in. I eventually got through the firmware update and setup, changing the default passwords and network names. Other than not having WiFi, is there anything else I can do to protect myself?

Short answer: No.

Somewhat longer answer (may be obvious): Choose a random (or apparently random - like a personally created and obfuscated acronym) password; don't include information about your own person/family in the router's network name. Use WPA2 *only*. That's about it for your usual options.

It's fiendishly difficult to diagnose machine behaviour at a distance (or by description), so I won't hazard a guess as to what caused the security message; could be over-zealous software settings as well as real trouble, YMMV. But going ahead and securing your router to the best of your ability is a very good start to avoiding trouble. If the machine (router) itself is somewhat faulty, that's something to put up with (or swap out).

M.

There's nothing to worry about if you don't tell others your WPA2 password, and you can turn off WPS if you don't plan to pair new devices with it.

But more often the threats are from yourself.

Say you have guests visiting and you're concerned about them accessing your home devices when they're, of course, connected to your router, you can set up one or more guest network(s) and/or enable client isolation. Note that client isolation works by cutting off accessibility among devices in LAN so it's likely more harm than good.

Image appropriated from Hive Systems under CC provisions as regards password strength and brute force attacks.

It should also be added that this table assumes that your username is known to the attacker.

password strength images-22.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I have a new Netgear Nighthawk router also. Didnt have to download and app to set it up. Just changed the routers login main password, put my SSID in, set security options ot WPA2-PSK, set wireless access password and off I went. Its pretty much secure right out of the box. There are tweeks you can do to make it better but for most people, its fine.

Routers now are a lot better at being secure out-of-the-box than they were even a few years ago. The big things some people still miss are changing default router logins and choosing too short a wifi password in the interest of convenience (hint: use a long but easier to remember passphrase). The other thing I occasionally check is the router's list of attached devices for anything rogue. I generally review everything on a regular scheduled basis so I do not forget about it. I have an ASUS RT-AX82U, no serious complaints. It's the first router in a long time that I have not loaded up alternative firmware (e.g. DD-WRT).

Back