Animals "Wild animals in the wild"

I
I was discussing this recently with someone: in western Victoria, they're called blue-tongues, but I grew up in South Australia calling them sleepy lizards, AKA pinecone lizards, shingle-backs... Wikipedia says they're a species of blue-tongued skink, and they do indeed have blue tongues.

I used to see quite a few of them in Canberra.

Near white out conditions didn’t help getting a sharp shot, but I didn’t plan on getting any closer.
ttzhD-xnur6rk5nbnvmvzqjsrqsuw5.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Here comes Spike! I was out trying to get a photo of the lorikeets in our fruit trees, when I heard a slithering sound behind me. It was Spike, our resident echidna, coming out from under the deck, where s/he sleeps.

I don't feel like I've formed a friendship with my PanaLeica 50-200mm lens - it seems to miss focus a lot, something I've really only noticed before in the LX100 compacts. Has anyone else here had this problem? It nails it sometimes, but my P100-300mm works much more consistently for me. I usually shoot single AF, rather than use CAF or tracking.

01251928-02.jpeg

01251934-01.jpeg

01251936-01.jpeg

This chap was frozen in place outside my front door, so gave me a good chance to get a photo. At first I thought it could be a juvenile European hare, as I've seen a couple hanging around a bit further out, but decided it's an adult European rabbit. Both feral animals in Australia, but I'd much rather have a hare.

01252049-01.jpeg

This chap was frozen in place outside my front door, so gave me a good chance to get a photo. At first I thought it could be a juvenile European hare, as I've seen a couple hanging around a bit further out, but decided it's an adult European rabbit. Both feral animals in Australia, but I'd much rather have a hare.
Yes, ears a bit short/dainty for a hare I reckon, and the face is a different shape - I tend to think of hares as having a bit of a roman nose, if that makes sense at all. Good of him to pose for you at any rate 😄

Back