Fuji Wildflower Sunset Picnic

KillRamsey

Hall of Famer
Name
Kyle
One of the theories I have for "what gear should I bring this coming Fall to hike down into the Grand Canyon" is "just bring the X-E3 with the 27 pancake on it and be done."

- It doesn't get much smaller or lighter.
- I have an awesome little circular polarizing filter for it that makes colors pop incredibly in bright light.
- If that's all I had, there's nothing to think about. Just fire and move on.

Testing that theory out, I took that setup to a quick picnic Sunday evening at sunset, to a local hike covered in blooming balsam root and other wildflowers. All of these are straight out of the X-E3, no editing.

47691230172_305e44a254_b.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
KBRY0071 by gordopuggy, on Flickr

46827360135_60a39e3c02_b.jpg
KBRY0074 by gordopuggy, on Flickr

40777437143_a319011268_b.jpg
KBRY0077 by gordopuggy, on Flickr

40777435613_f91fb8dd32_b.jpg
KBRY0096 by gordopuggy, on Flickr

33866925438_deda416e97_b.jpg
KBRY0103 by gordopuggy, on Flickr

For my own sake, my thoughts so far:

- I wish it had a tilt LCD. I like shooting from high and low perspectives, and it ain't easy like this.
- So far I say "go for it." This could totally work.

Limited choice sounds like a great option. That is what I like about the ‘single in’ series that has been a challenge here before. The next one should be single in July. 1 camera, 1 lens with a photo a day for a month. For me it always a prime lens.

Looks like this is working very well for you. I agree with what has been said about having just one focal length. For me, I have noticed when I have even just one more lens, or a zoom, I tend to take a lot more photos. More than I need to.

I’m thinking seriously about getting another 23mm. Whenever I’m out with the family or just shooting for me, I would use either the 23mm or 35mm and nothing else.

I’m deciding back and forth between the two versions. Weather sealing, af speed, and light weight vs 1.4. Both 23mm’s are on sale right now too.

Limited choice sounds like a great option. That is what I like about the ‘single in’ series that has been a challenge here before. The next one should be single in July. 1 camera, 1 lens with a photo a day for a month. For me it always a prime lens.
A new SI... sounds like a great idea! :) Any proposed restrictions (eg: primes only or subject) or wide open... any camera, any lens, any subject?

I’m deciding back and forth between the two versions. Weather sealing, af speed, and light weight vs 1.4. Both 23mm’s are on sale right now too.

I'm sure you've heard me say it, but I had the 1.4 and sold it on, never could get over the bulk, and the softness wide open. Much, much happier shedding 50% of the size and cost (?), only giving up a stop.

I'm sure you've heard me say it, but I had the 1.4 and sold it on, never could get over the bulk, and the softness wide open. Much, much happier shedding 50% of the size and cost (?), only giving up a stop.
Ultimately I decided on the 1.4 variant. The extra stop will help with some of the stuff I'm shooting these days. The size doesn't bother me because it's smaller/lighter than the 16mm 1.4. If I get a copy that turns out to be too soft I'll send it back. I have an event Monday, so I'll know immediately if it's going to work for me.

One camera, one lens for the month. Take one photo a day with the combo and post to the appropriate thread.
These challenges have occurred on yearly basis. Typically in January. Last year the participants agreed to a every 9 months since the January catches some extreme weather in both hemispheres. So there was one in Oct. 2018. And one planned for July 2019. @MoonMind has been keeping tabs on this. Should be collecting names and their camera choices in preparation sometime in June.

Back