Windows, a big pink bunny, and a tunnel...

I saw the eternal timeout one on FB/Flickr... haunting and kinda sad to be sure.

On another semi-related note: I think these places are fascinating, it's just a shame people inevitably trash them (looking at the bottle in the top left of the Windows shot). What's fascinating to me is the slow decay and "bottled history" effect. It seems in many abandoned places like everything just suddenly stopped one day while the world moved on around it. Sorta ruins that that for me when the trash and vandalism pile up. I certainly understand why so many urbex folks prefer to keep locations to themselves!

Again, John your urbex images have hit the mark,
Your stuff is art, if art can be subtle, sublime and stark.
My heart goes out for the poor bunny,
The eternal timeout forecast isn't sunny.
So this I charge you, a dare if you might,
Please rescue the rabbit from it's damned plight.

=G=

Thanks all!!!

Again, John your urbex images have hit the mark,
Your stuff is art, if art can be subtle, sublime and stark.
My heart goes out for the poor bunny,
The eternal timeout forecast isn't sunny.
So this I charge you, a dare if you might,
Please rescue the rabbit from it's damned plight.

=G=

I blush with pride, my face aglow
At the gracious praise
From our resident Pro!

I'm with everyone else, John - wonderful images... but you must save The Bunny!

I don't want to get involved... I got my own problems...

I like The Eternal timeout image, I feel that there's something about it that's disturbing and potentially sad .

Yes, I agree. What was likely a humorous impulse ends up creating an image that has more power than I think whoever arranged this intended. It may be why I've sold as many as I have (and that's like 10 of them -- not mass market, lol). A guy at work came into my office where I had a 16x20 of the original one I did on the wall, saw it, and bought the framed image right off my office wall, lol. People either really are drawn to this scene, or they have difficulty looking at it. My wife is in the latter category and though she is my biggest fan it's not because of the bunny!

I saw the eternal timeout one on FB/Flickr... haunting and kinda sad to be sure.

On another semi-related note: I think these places are fascinating, it's just a shame people inevitably trash them (looking at the bottle in the top left of the Windows shot). What's fascinating to me is the slow decay and "bottled history" effect. It seems in many abandoned places like everything just suddenly stopped one day while the world moved on around it. Sorta ruins that that for me when the trash and vandalism pile up. I certainly understand why so many urbex folks prefer to keep locations to themselves!

Jay, very true. In fact, in the "Windows..." image I deliberately framed the bright red bottle caps that contrast so sharply with the rest of the image's pastel dreariness. It kind of makes the point about people in there among the history and atmosphere that they likely have no appreciation for.

A homeless guy "lives" in the place and I scare him out sometimes when I come to visit. He was across the street on a bench watching me when I came out. We do a very good job avoiding one another. That may or may not be from some stuff he hustled. The kids drink in a spot in the basement and there is like a 1/4 acre of empties down there. It's interesting how certain groups favor certain parts of the building, and are disinclined to hang out in other parts of it. It is very large though with quite a maze of stairs that don't cover all levels and odd corridor layouts. Second nature to me now but I was really confused when I first explored it.

Again, thanks everyone.

John - many thanks for the backstory, your sense of humor, your thoughtfulness and your clear eye.

I think we need to start a Save The Bunny initiative.:grouphug:

One more from this trip. This large safe is surrounded by thick, very hard stone blocks and a double locked mechanism. Nobody has opened it in over 40 years.

These safes were necessary in the days of "pay packets" before paychecks when folks were given cash packets at the end of the week. Also, nearly impregnable fortresses like this one were good for keeping trade secrets in. Back in the day, security was strictly a physical matter.

NOT HDR. A single shot on the X100 with the OOC JPG processed to look like this.

9552286102_c09f86a9f6_b.jpg

It is Quite Safe by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

Back