Winner!!! 35th Serious Compacts Challenge - I Love Coffee, I Love Tea!

Boars Head. A coffee chain? If so, I am not familiar with it. Coffee or tea to stay and a cup to go. Left by a previous customer? Contained a top up of milk for you? or hot water? Pray tell! OCD sugar collection! The upturned spoon over a holed napkin with a piece from one of the holes nearby. What's the story? I get the impression Boars Head is a dark place to be.
Unfortunately, the real story is far less interesting. The Boar's Head is a very nice inn in Charelottesville, VA. (Restaurants in Virginia | Charlottesville Dining) We went to the restaurant for Christmas dinner. While waiting for a table, my wife ordered coffee and I went in search of a restroom. On my way back, I discovered an urn of coffee in the lobby and grabbed a few cups in disposable cups. Hence the mixture of coffee cups. There is no hole in the napkin as that is the torn end of one of the sweetener tubes. There was a body on the floor nearby but the lighting wasn't good enough to take a picture.

Unfortunately, the real story is far less interesting. The Boar's Head is a very nice inn in Charelottesville, VA. (Restaurants in Virginia | Charlottesville Dining) We went to the restaurant for Christmas dinner. While waiting for a table, my wife ordered coffee and I went in search of a restroom. On my way back, I discovered an urn of coffee in the lobby and grabbed a few cups in disposable cups. Hence the mixture of coffee cups. There is no hole in the napkin as that is the torn end of one of the sweetener tubes. There was a body on the floor nearby but the lighting wasn't good enough to take a picture.

Yeah, you are right. I much prefer my story! :0)

Was one of my favorite small independent coffee shops. Sadly they recently closed shop...
wiredpuppy.jpg

Last edited:
I usually make my own and have between 4-6 litres brewing in the fridge at any one time... Can't beat it for long black iced coffee in the WA heat...

View attachment 125121

Thanks Troy, on seeing this shot....and an excellent and unusual one it is too, I was intrigued enough to look up cold brewed coffee. Until today I had never heard of it and it makes me want to try it. I will report back in a couple of days. Any tips for the home cold brewer?

Thanks Troy, on seeing this shot....and an excellent and unusual one it is too, I was intrigued enough to look up cold brewed coffee. Until today I had never heard of it and it makes me want to try it. I will report back in a couple of days. Any tips for the home cold brewer?

I usually let it brew for 48 hours to get a nice strong concentrate which I can cut to taste later on...

I had a weird and wonderful contraption to start with but now I just throw the water and grounds together in a 2.5L jug and filter it off a couple of days later...

The other day I had a 5 day old brew and it was so strong that my tongue went tingly then numb as I was drinking it...

I usually let it brew for 48 hours to get a nice strong concentrate which I can cut to taste later on...

I had a weird and wonderful contraption to start with but now I just throw the water and grounds together in a 2.5L jug and filter it off a couple of days later...

The other day I had a 5 day old brew and it was so strong that my tongue went tingly then numb as I was drinking it...
Sounds interesting. How much grounds for 2.5L?

Cold Brew Coffee. An intriguing taste idea. I love strong hot coffee, which I always enjoy without dairy or sweeteners. I don’t like tepid coffee, but I have enjoyed iced coffee. Now cold brewed!! I’m going to dry it. What are the proportions?

Cold Brew Tea is also quite good, a lot less tannin, so the tea is floral and sweet without additions. Green and white teas are better than black for cold brewing.

Sounds interesting. How much grounds for 2.5L?

I've been using about 200-250g per batch, depending on how long I let it brew and the strength/taste I'm going for I then add another 500mL - 1L of cold water.

Serve neat over ice or with a dash of milk/cream... (y)

In the really hot months up here I do the same thing with green tea, 4 bags to a litre steeped in cold water for 24hrs, then add the juice of a large lime before drinking...

Just to jolly things along a little, here are some quotes related to coffee:

I don't really like coffee, she said, but I don't really like it when my head hits my desk when I fall asleep either.
I brought you some coffee.” he held out the cup but she waved it away.
“I hate that stuff. It tastes like feet.”
At that he smiled. “How would you know what feet taste like?
What do you want?"
"Just coffee. Black - like my soul.
I'd rather take coffee than compliments just now
It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity

.......and some for tea!

You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me
I say let the world go to hell, but I should always have my tea
I shouldn't think even millionaires could eat anything nicer than new bread and real butter and honey for tea
In Ireland, you go to someone's house, and she asks you if you want a cup of tea. You say no, thank you, you're really just fine. She asks if you're sure. You say of course you're sure, really, you don't need a thing. Except they pronounce it ting. You don't need a ting. Well, she says then, I was going to get myself some anyway, so it would be no trouble. Ah, you say, well, if you were going to get yourself some, I wouldn't mind a spot of tea, at that, so long as it's no trouble and I can give you a hand in the kitchen. Then you go through the whole thing all over again until you both end up in the kitchen drinking tea and chatting. In America, someone asks you if you want a cup of tea, you say no, and then you don't get any damned tea. I liked the Irish way better.

Back