Winner!!! 35th Serious Compacts Challenge - I Love Coffee, I Love Tea!

While not the best coffee, 'Tims' is the go-to cup for most on the go here in Canada.
Cuppa.JPG

While not the best coffee, 'Tims' is the go-to cup for most on the go here in Canada.View attachment 125262

When I first clapped eyes on the cup, I thought it was Christmas! Must be the colours. The red is very intense. Red means stop for traffic, or draw a red line and don't dare step over it, reds under the bed, red light district, red limiter; all have negative connotations.......but......here the vibrancy of the colour smacks you in the face and says "I AM COFFEE, DRINK ME"! The blurred background, a metaphor for the hurly burly of life on the go, only got time for coffee on the hoof, no time to stop.....the caffein keeps me going, keeps me doing!

Thought I would just include a few of my own......to keep things percolating!!

I might kit my car out with this outfit!
View attachment 125283Coffee Van by Pete Tachauer, on Flickr

Office and coffee on the hoof

View attachment 125284London People 100914 by Pete Tachauer, on Flickr

Coffee at dawn

View attachment 125285Dawn Coffee by Pete Tachauer, on Flickr

The Coffee thief!

View attachment 125286The Coffee Thief by Pete Tachauer, on Flickr

The "kitted-out" coffee van is, in a word, priceless!!! and, yes, droolworthy ;)

OK folks, the competition is now closed. All I have to do now is sit down, scratch my head and figure out which one is the winner. Hopefully I can put you out of your misery tomorrow.

OK, I am putting you out of your misery. Thanks all for the difficult task you have given me! The photos all have their merits in the way they impacted on my taste buds and my memories. I have already given a narrative for each of the photographs so I won't go into any more detail. It was soooooooo close. One pipped all the others by the thinnest "fag paper" (a Rizla Paper for those who wonder what the hell a fag paper is)

In the end, the out of kilter shot.....like a jolt coffee gives to your senses; the stare of the coffee maker as intense as the coffee he was brewing, the warm glow of the charcoal fire. They all made me think of the time I spent in Istanbul with the ever fragrant Mrs T and our friends. The morning call of the Imam floating through our hotel window; at once exotic and comforting.....not disconcerting nor disturbing..... exhorting his flock to come pray "Prayer is better than sleep" he intones. I would add "But, after prayer.....a fine demitasse of Turkish coffee to get you going"!

Well done Serhan!

Thank you all for your fine interpretations.

Last edited:
Thank you very much. The entrees were very competitive and Peter run it very well with his valuable comments. The photo was from a local resort town where you can cool down with the breeze from the sea while drinking your coffee and chatting with your friends... Thanks again to everybody.

Back