Winner announced: 33rd Serious Compacts Salon Challenge - The Space Between

donlaw

Legend
Name
Don
It is my pleasure to be curating the next in a long line of excellent challenges from this group!
Our theme this time will be The Space Between. This could be the space between people, buildings, pets, etc... You get the idea. Interpretation of the theme is open for creativity.

This challenge will run from today, Feb. 22nd, through Friday March 17th, and end at some point in my timezone (US Central) on that evening. Last minute entries are welcome, until the announcement that the challenge is closed for judging.

Some Rules:

1. Either take pictures that match the nominated theme or select some from your portfolio. You must be the photographer that created the images in order to enter it.

2. Only one entry per salon, please. If you want to withdraw an entry and replace it with another, that is OK, but you must make it clear in the post containing your replacement pictures that this is what you've done. You can add or change the title and add to the edit line to let everyone know.

3. The decision of the curator at the end of the challenge is final - don't give him/her a hard time about it: this is just a friendly photo-challenge, after all!

4. The winner will assume the responsibility of curator for the next Salon Challenge, and as soon as possible post a message in a new thread in the SC Photo Challenges forum, with details of the new theme. Don't forget - that opening message must include a copy of these instructions, which also double as the rules.

5. The curator cannot enter his or her own salon.

Good luck and have fun!

My interpretation of the space between is a photograph I took this afternoon. Strolling on the rural lane near my house in a small Oregon town. It was near dusk but it seemed to be a time in between light and darkness - it had been raining and stopped and seemed to be a time partway in between rain and non-rain - there were clouds massed in the sky but some open spaces and directly in front of me there were what looked like swirling layers of mist - somewhere in between clouds and clear air -

The camera is my old GX1 which was converted to an infrared only camera - so the resulting infrared monochrome shot is somewhere in between the red end of the visible spectrum, and the invisible frequencies of the microwave spectrum -

I am just outside of city limits here, in what used to be farmland but is being slowly converted, or eroded, into either commercial or residential developments, so this space, too, is, literally, a space between - between town and farm, between a simpler past and a more complex future -

And lastly, and intentionally, though initially it seemed to be a landscape, I kept my shadow in the frame, to once again muddy the waters between portrait and landscape -

And to keep this shot somewhere in the middle.

Here it is -

44358894.d2e19c39.1024.jpg

February Clouds
by MiguelATF, on ipernity

Last edited:
I'll follow up Miguel's amazing photo with a trivial one meant to bring a smile. I reserve the right to replace this shot later if I find something better.

Sometimes though the space may not be great, the effect can seem immense. Charlie is mere inches away from this delicious-looking chipmunk, but the thickness of that double-pane window means it may as well be across the Grand Canyon....he'll never get him.

14446878245_0c9a00b81a_b.jpg
tantalizingly close
by Luke, on Flickr

In the space between your wigwams plant a wigwam-shaped bush.

wigwam.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Somewhere; in between the cradle and the grave, there is life. It may be long or short, good or bad.......dreams may be fulfilled or not. Whatever, it is what you make of it. The cradle seems such a long time ago. I have fewer years left than I started with. Trying to keep the grave out of my busy schedule and having some fun.

12776582224_d86280c99a_c.jpg
Cradle to Grave.....Napier Style!!!!
by Pete Tachauer, on Flickr

Back