WINNER ANNOUNCED: The 11th Photographer's Lounge Salon Challenge: Long Exposure

Congrats to Joe on a truly stunning image - and a well-deserved winner.

And thanks to Serhan for not only inspiring and challenging us all with a great (and not so easy) challenge - and a thoughtful curation - and also for making me really think about what a time exposure is....and can be.

One last note, Joe - it isn't just a great photo - it's beautifully processed, too.

Congrats Joe. That was my favorite image of the bunch too, although I wasn't sure how it would do because the long exposure is a bit less integral to it than some of the others. But it's a really brilliant image regardless!

-Ray

It might be a good idea to include some of the camera pp and shot information eg lens mm/shutter speed, filter, etc to evaluate and learn from these challenges...

I checked Joe's Flickr image link: "With Kenko R72 infrared and B+W 6 stop ND filters. 90sec exposure @15mm"

Congrats Joe. That was my favorite image of the bunch too, although I wasn't sure how it would do because the long exposure is a bit less integral to it than some of the others. But it's a really brilliant image regardless!

-Ray

It might be a good idea to include some of the camera pp and shot information eg lens mm/shutter speed, filter, etc to evaluate and learn from these challenges...

I checked Joe's Flickr image link: "With Kenko R72 infrared and B+W 6 stop ND filters. 90sec exposure @15mm"
I wasn't suggesting that it wasn't a long exposure, just that the image was so strong overall that it would have been almost as powerful without the long exposure. The clouds would have been slightly more defined and less ethereal, but I suspect I'd have found the image just as powerful because of all of it's other incredibly strong elements of the composition and the excellent processing.

-Ray

Ray, I understand your point. But I beg to differ......at least a little. Without the long exposure aspect, it would have been a great architecture shot. But it's so much more than that now.

For me, it goes from being a representational shot to a creative shot. It went from Joe took a picture of the iMax to Joe created a photograph. There's no doubt it would have been a fine photo of the building. Just not a special one.

Cool shot! Congrats Joe.
For those curious about my Nuclear Fuel image it was a three image composite. One long exposure fisheye after sunset and two separate sunset cloud images.

Don

Ray, I understand your point. But I beg to differ......at least a little. Without the long exposure aspect, it would have been a great architecture shot. But it's so much more than that now.

For me, it goes from being a representational shot to a creative shot. It went from Joe took a picture of the iMax to Joe created a photograph. There's no doubt it would have been a fine photo of the building. Just not a special one.
Luke, I agree with you. And the LAST thing I meant to suggest was that Joe's shot was anything less than Serhan saw it to be. I too thought it was the strongest image here and the long exposure contributed greatly to it. My only point was that UNLIKE several of the other shots in the challenge (mine definitely among them), it would still have been a great shot without that aspect and I was merely noting my pre-results concern that this might have been held against it by 'da judge. I'm very glad it was not and that it was still judged the winner, very deservingly so! That was all I was trying to communicate. Not that the long exposure didn't make it a much better photograph than it would have been, just that it STILL would have been a great photo either way.

I was trying to say something doubly good about the photo and I'm afraid it was taken as somehow a slight put-down when it was absolutely intended as the opposite...

Anyway, I'll just offer Joe another very hearty congratulations on an amazing image!

-Ray

Thanks guys, and a big thanks to Serhan for hosting.

Long exposure photography/images is a peculiar sort of interest for me personally...I mostly feel a bit 'meh' about it all and yet sometimes I think it's the coolest thing ever, but I guess that goes for all forms or genres of photography. Either way, it's a skill and takes a lot of work, both when making the shot and perhaps even more so when processing afterwards because those shot can often get tricky to work with.

-Ray

Ray...I interpreted your comment in the way I believe you intended it, and I'm glad you thought it would have been just as strong an image without the movement in the clouds. I never carry all that gear so it wasn't by mistake that I had a tripod, a remote and an IR filter on that day, this shot was planned, but the funny thing is, it was only because I didn't quite get the fluffy whisps of white cloud that I was hopeful for to contrast against the bold and sharp lines of the building did I decide to stack the IR filter with a heavy duty ND filter and make it a long exposure, but as I said in my comment when I posted this image, I'm too terribly lazy to make THAT much of an effort for this to a be a thing, for me. I haven't taken out a tripod (let alone all the other stuff) since!

Ok, so I guess the privilege has now been bestowed upon me to come up with a theme for 12th Salon Challenge. I need some thinking music guys....stay tuned.

Again, a big thanks to all involved.

Back