Winner Announced: The 12th Photographers Lounge Salon Challenge: MUSIC

Thanks for the entries guys.

In one way or another many of the images presented here struck a chord with me and my experiences with music...Miguel, I like the motion blur you capture in the violinists fingers and bow hand....Paul, I really like the isolation of the musician in the light surrounded by all that negative space....Ray, I love how you've managed to capture the trance like state that drummers seem to occupy.....Steve and Sue, really love the instrument details you have both captured, yeah, I miss my guitar too!.....Luke, another detail shot but one which I relate to in a whole other way, I couldn't possibly begin to guess how many thousands of hours I've spent in a dark room lit only by the hifi system and my headphones on....Armando and Ken, 2 very different shots but both speak strongly of the good times and bonds we build with others through music.....and Don, I really like your Saxman playing for free in the gardens...lets face it, most us will never do anything other than to play for free and more often than not, play to no ears other than our own....

...but the image that captured my imagination the most was the dancing girl with headphones by Dave.
This image reminds me of the fact that a child doesn't need a formal education in music or an instrument to be able to enjoy music.
I love her smile and the way she looks to be lost in the world of sounds coming from her headphones....like the saying goes "dance like no one is watching". I believe this is an instinctive and even primal phenomenon which goes back way further than even the earliest most rudimentary sound recording device, which a child free of our learned adult insecurities is more open to expressing. Nice one Dave.

_DSC5080.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Thanks for the entries guys.

In one way or another many of the images presented here struck a chord with me and my experiences with music...Miguel, I like the motion blur you capture in the violinists fingers and bow hand....Paul, I really like the isolation of the musician in the light surrounded by all that negative space....Ray, I love how you've managed to capture the trance like state that drummers seem to occupy.....Steve and Sue, really love the instrument details you have both captured, yeah, I miss my guitar too!.....Luke, another detail shot but one which I relate to in a whole other way, I couldn't possibly begin to guess how many thousands of hours I've spent in a dark room lit only by the hifi system and my headphones on....Armando and Ken, 2 very different shots but both speak strongly of the good times and bonds we build with others through music.....and Don, I really like your Saxman playing for free in the gardens...lets face it, most us will never do anything other than to play for free and more often than not, play to no ears other than our own....

...but the image that captured my imagination the most was the dancing girl with headphones by Dave.
This image reminds me of the fact that a child doesn't need a formal education in music or an instrument to be able to enjoy music.
I love her smile and the way she looks to be lost in the world of sounds coming from her headphones....like the saying goes "dance like no one is watching". I believe this is an instinctive and even primal phenomenon which goes back way further than even the earliest most rudimentary sound recording device, which a child free of our learned adult insecurities is more open to expressing. Nice one Dave.

Thanks for the support :). There were some great images in here.

I almost did not enter this go round as technically this image is all sorts if wrong, but it was one of those just fun moments of our Foster Kid having a blast, listening to music and dancing away.

Congratulations to Dave for, as Joe so articulately pointed out, capturing an image which has not just photographic beauty but a primal, instinctive power to it. It's a great moment in time that has been preserved. And really nicely judged, too, as well, so props to Joe for creating and curating a challenge - and a subject - which has been far more challenging, and rewarding, than I initially imagined.

It really is a great photo, too, Dave :)

Back