WINNER ANNOUNCED - The 18th Photographers' Lounge Salon Challenge: Adventure!

It's taken some time due to no internet at home and busy days at work, but here it is... my judging of the 18th PhotoLounge Salon Challenge!

The theme for this one was Adventure. I asked for various interpretations and presentations of the word, and I sure got them; from the adrenalin of a seemingly certain fall to the calmness of reading a book, from the very young to the very old, and from the personal to the vicarious. Thank you all!

So without further ado, here are my comments:

Jock Elliott probably has the highest number of different interpretations: literally literal, in the subtitle of the book; mental, in the adventure that reading a good story can take you on, and ironic, in the sense of sitting in a comfortable chair, presumably at home, reading a book with the dog on the lap. Impressive!

Steve (drd1135) definitely has loads of adrenalin going on in his shot; spectacular! It's a pretty dynamic composition too, which can't have been easy, presumably being in the audience when you shot this.

Miguel (ATF) shows what an adventure daily life can be for the elderly, even when they can't do everything they used to (I feel some Alfred, Lord Tennyson coming up here) with a fun, joyful shot. Inspiring!

Lucille lets her picture do the talking, which adds to the mystery of the place. It looks to be in a remote, tough environment, and who inhabited these structures, and why they were abandoned, remains a mystery.

Milan goes for a contemplative style, taken while travelling. It seems the adventure is to the left - or is the danger, from which we should run, to the right? Hard to know what's around the corner in this unfamiliar town!

Luke shows that daily life is an adventure in itself, which is something worth remembering in this era of high-octane movies, TV series and games.

Ray goes for the double with his bike image in Wales (cycling up a hill in miserable weather on a folding bike can't have been easy!) and his actual submission, two airplanes soaring in the sky, their pilots undoubtedly experiencing a wonderful sensation of freedom.

Muzee has an image of a personal adventure that was probably quite hair raising; I've seen similar horse-drawn carriages on highways in Morocco, and the closing speeds of cars were quite frightening. Ah, to be travelling off the beaten track...

Donlaw shows us that there're adventures, and there're ADVENTURES. This one really was among the most epic in human history. In his real submission, he shows that adventure and beauty can go hand in hand. Must be wonderful to sail on such a ship, and that's quite some port to arrive to... As it happens, until 2 months ago I lived about a hundred metres away from the point where the Pilgrims first set sail towards America.

Ripleysbaby lets us see the world through the eyes of a dog, who never fails to make an adventure out of any situation. What joy it must be to be a dog with a kind owner!

ReD - that is a long-term, ambitious adventure! Sounds like a sympathetic guy, I hope the project will be a success!

Bill, I'm sure we can all relate to that photo. Kids can make an adventure out of the dullest situation, and a drag race with miniature cars is definitely not dull! At Goodwood no less!

Dean, that must've been an incredible shot of adrenalin! You captured the moment really well I think - no turning back anymore, and not quite time yet for that sigh of relief when you know you've made it.

Speaking of adrenalin shots, teaming up with a living, breathing animal and traversing land and hedges at great speed together must be epic. I like the low camera angle as well, Christina!

Peter, that must indeed be quite the adventure. I don't know if birds like these have the memory, but if it were me, I'd remember it forever. Actually, I do remember the first time I went into the water with my mom, so I know what this little guy or girl must've felt like! You, however, were not quite as young when you jumped into the water - but still young of heart!

And finally, Matero posts a beautiful shot of a faraway land tempting us with just a glimpse of forested hills, begging to be explored.

Now, as for the winner... nah, let me do some honorable mentions first. Jock with his multi-interpretation, Miguel with his hopeful image of having fun despite limited mobility, Dean with his perfect timing, and Matero with a shot that's ethereal but that lets my fantasy run wild - I came back to your images lots of times, well done all!

The winner, for me, combines adrenalin with a sense of exploration and a really strong composition, doubling the power of the content. It's Ray's image of two planes (one of which is a water plane, which equals instant adventure credits), where the highly dynamic angle of the planes relative to each other really reinforces the sense of freedom that flying must give. So for combining content with composition to bring the adventure right to the viewer, I crown you, Ray, the winner of the 18th Photo Lounge Salon Challenge! Congratulations!

Thanks Bart and others! I don't know that I'd have chosen mine from among the excellent submissions, but it's nice that you did. I always sort of wondered what I'd do if I won one of these and now I'm gonna have to figure it out. I'll try to start a new one by Monday or Tuesday at the latest...

-Ray

well done Ray, I am sure it must be very much deserved and a close run thing.......but I can't see most of the pictures for some reason. Just a small square with a ? in it. Anyone else have this problem

By the time I found something to put into the comp, it was too late. It would have been the Couta Boat being put into the water at Sorrento, Port Philip Bay, Australia..

The Couta boat was designed and built for speed and capacity for the fishermen of the area in the mid 1800's. It had to ride through a notorious rip tide to make for the open ocean to fish. Seamanship skills of a different nature were required to handle the boat. It is much prized now and has been used to race.

Sailing in one of these would have been an adventure indeed.

I only put this one in as I think you may enjoy the pic and attached story.

9370107931_9c944aef5d_b.jpg
Couta Boat -Sorrento.
by Pete Tachauer, on Flickr

Congratulations, Ray. A wonderful entry. All the best with the new challenge.
Bart, thanks for organizing! An excellent theme.

Back