WINNER ANOUNCED - WhatisitWednesday 66

jssaraiva

Top Veteran
Name
José
Welcome to this week's competition. A reminder of the rules:

Each member gets one guess (unless no one is even close towards the end). The answer will be revealed on the following Tuesday. The first correct guess has the honour of submitting the image for the next challenge. Sometimes there will be more than one thing in the photo or more than one way to accurately describe what the photo represents. The original poster will be the final judge of who is "most correct".

Good luck!
DP3M0266_crop.jpg

Tug boat would be my guess as well, but since that was guessed alrready, I'm going with a freezer of some sort (on account of the seal on the sliding door).

I thought a boat as well but given that's gone I'm going for an even more specific US Postal Service boat on account of the colour scheme. Those ones they use to deliver the mail when it's flooded:)

Hello all,

Time to announce the winner. It is if fact a boat, the best answer would be "fishing boat". Nobody however guessed the specific type.

Congratulations Luke, you were the first to identify it was a boat. You've spotted very well the rope, if fact I left it there as a clue, since it could be a number of other things if that was not present.

Here is the full picture. It was taken with the DP3M and it is on the Douro River, but it goes out fishing to the Atlantic Ocean:

DP3M0266-XL.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Is there a boat that goes up and down (or even across) the River Douro? If so I think this could be it.
Hi,

Sorry I haven't replied before, been travelling.

There are several boats that go from Porto upstream to the vineyards region. It has become quite a business over the last 10 years, specially after it was granted the World Heritage distinction.

This is however not the case, but is a representative of one of the more traditional industries in Portugal: fishing. Even if the land area is very small, Portugal has a huge Exclusive economic zone and fishing was always a significant part of the economy and families life. A very dangerous activity, sadly.

Back