WINNER What Is It Wednesday #70

jssaraiva

Top Veteran
Name
José
Hi all,

New challenge, good luck to all! Here are the rules:

Each member gets one guess (unless no one is even close towards the end). The answer will be revealed on the following Tuesday. The first correct guess has the honour of submitting the image for the next challenge. Sometimes there will be more than one thing in the photo or more than one way to accurately describe what the photo represents. Specificity counts! The original poster (ME!) will be the final judge of who is "most correct".

This is a crop. For this specific case, I would say the most correct is identifying the larger object it belongs to, not only what that grey thing is ;)

IMG_4894.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I have to fly a lot with my day job. At 6'3" in my socks I try to bag a legroom seat. Airlines think bulkhead seats are legroom seats (not if you have feet...) and those tables tend to be attached to bulkheads. That latch looks too robust to just hold up a tray table, and it doesn't have a coathook that I can see, soo...

That's my logic and I'm sticking to it ;)

So, NOBODY guessed!... I've said:
This is a crop. For this specific case, I would say the most correct is identifying the larger object it belongs to, not only what that grey thing is ;)
The correct answer was an airplane!

Just kidding :) Martin, theoldsmithy, had what I consider a brilliant opening guess. Even if afterwards it might look a bit easy, I believe this is one of those things that when you see it out of context, you go mad trying to identify where you've seen it, but it should take some effort to identify.

Well done! You're up.
IMG_4897%5B1%5D-XL.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This was a Lufthansa's A321, performing Oporto-Frankfurt, last Tueday's red eye flight....

I have to fly a lot with my day job. At 6'3" in my socks I try to bag a legroom seat. Airlines think bulkhead seats are legroom seats (not if you have feet...) and those tables tend to be attached to bulkheads. That latch looks too robust to just hold up a tray table, and it doesn't have a coathook that I can see, soo...

That's my logic and I'm sticking to it ;)
I'm also 6'3'' and I know exactly how you feel with those bulkhead seats! Sometimes the travel agency lady forgets that I hate those seats, but knowing I want good pitch ones, presents me in a happy manner when she is able to book those bulkhead for me. If feel bad having to ask for change...

I'm also 6'3'' and I know exactly how you feel with those bulkhead seats! Sometimes the travel agency lady forgets that I hate those seats, but knowing I want good pitch ones, presents me in a happy manner when she is able to book those bulkhead for me. If feel bad having to ask for change...

I once turned up waaaaay early for a Singapore Airlines flight from Heathrow to Singapore. I asked politely at check-in, explaining to the 2-foot shorter than me lady that I would really appreciate legroom. She gave me a window seat in the emergency exit row.

When I got there I realised that it was one of those ones where the emergency slide was built into the door and there was no legroom at all. I complained and asked to move and was refused. I couldn't sit straight at all because there was no room for my feet let alone legs. It was a night flight so I tried to make the best of it by hunkering down and putting my legs up on the slide bulge. Immediately I got told off. A big row ensued. I patiently explained that they could either give me another seat or put up with my legs on the lump. With bad grace they left me be and I went to sleep.

Until I was woken by the chief steward, who told me off. Same argument. I went back to sleep.

Until I was woken by the co-pilot, who told me off. Same argument. Back to sleep.

Until I was woken by the pilot, who told me off...

This went on all night, and was quite deliberate. By this time the two guys in the same row with me were equally pissed, and very much on my side.

Is it any wonder that I dislike Singapore in general and Singapore Airlines in particular?

And don't get me started on Changi Airport... ;)

I once turned up waaaaay early for a Singapore Airlines flight from Heathrow to Singapore. I asked politely at check-in, explaining to the 2-foot shorter than me lady that I would really appreciate legroom. She gave me a window seat in the emergency exit row.

When I got there I realised that it was one of those ones where the emergency slide was built into the door and there was no legroom at all. I complained and asked to move and was refused. I couldn't sit straight at all because there was no room for my feet let alone legs. It was a night flight so I tried to make the best of it by hunkering down and putting my legs up on the slide bulge. Immediately I got told off. A big row ensued. I patiently explained that they could either give me another seat or put up with my legs on the lump. With bad grace they left me be and I went to sleep.

Until I was woken by the chief steward, who told me off. Same argument. I went back to sleep.

Until I was woken by the co-pilot, who told me off. Same argument. Back to sleep.

Until I was woken by the pilot, who told me off...

This went on all night, and was quite deliberate. By this time the two guys in the same row with me were equally pissed, and very much on my side.

Is it any wonder that I dislike Singapore in general and Singapore Airlines in particular?

And don't get me started on Changi Airport... ;)

Oh the Boeing 777 slides... I know what you mean. Sorry you had that very bad experience. I've never flown Singapore, I'm now glad I didn't, thought they would have a better service.

There's another situation I've sometimes experienced which goes like this ...

I've taken my seat prior to take-off and I'm settled and strapped in. A member of the cabin crew asks me if I'd like to move to an emergency row as there will be more room and I will be more comfortable. I'm reasonably comfortable where I am, but I'm an obliging sort of chap and I move to the emergency row so that we can all spread out a bit.

Once there I'm handed a piece of card which asks me whether, in an emergency, I could release the panel in the wall next to me, which weighs 60kg (or something like that) and manhandle it out of the resulting hole. The honest answer to that is that I don't know as I've never tried, but with adrenaline pumping and a plane full of screaming passengers at my back I'd certainly give it a good try.

This has happened to me a few times. I've never voiced any concerns, I just sit there and hope for the best having apparently entered into some sort of Faustian pact with the airline.

-R

Back