WINNERS ANNOUNCED: 11th Cameraderie Photo Challenge: Negative Space

ionian

Regular
I try to think of composition like ancient Greek sculpture. In sculpture you start with a great big rock and chip away at it, removing everything unnecessary until you are left only with the part of the rock that displays your subject. In photography we do the same, taking a whole scene and framing it just so to include only the elements that get across the meaning or aesthetics that we want to show.

So in many ways, the simpler the composition the better. For this challenge I want to you to try and get as simple as possible. Take (or find) a photo that uses negative space to allow your subject to breathe. The space should add to the photo, be an essential part of it.

Here's a couple of examples from my photos, just for illustrative purposes:

P8010015-Edit.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

P3280187-Edit.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

PB150005.jpg

The challenge will close on 30 November 2018.

All the usual Challenge RULES will apply, including:

1. Either take pictures that match the nominated theme or select some from your portfolio. You must be the photographer that created the images in order to enter it.

2. Only one entry per person, please. If you want to withdraw an entry and replace it with another, that is OK, but you must make it clear in the post containing your replacement pictures that this is what you've done. You can add or change the title and add to the edit line to let everyone know.

3. The decision of the curator at the end of the challenge is final - don't give him/her a hard time about it: this is just a friendly photo-challenge, after all!

4. The winner will assume the responsibility of curator for the next Challenge, and as soon as possible post a message in a new thread in the SC Photo Challenges forum, with details of the new theme. Don't forget - that opening message must include a copy of these instructions, which also double as the rules.

5. The curator cannot enter his or her own salon

Thanks very much to those who have entered so far. There's still two weeks left for this challenge, plenty of time to pick up the camera and find some space...

Back