WINNERS SELECTED: 16th Serious Compacts Salon Challenge: A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

The Challenge is [sound of trumpets] CLOSED!!!

PROPS! I was worried at first about the subject I'd chosen, but we received 16 entries which I have open in their own tabs so I can review them. Great participation -- I'm not sure what is normal around here but I'm happy.

Now I shall figure out who the heck wins. A lot of different approaches here so I have to think about it a bit. I'll post the winner tonight.

Judge's Decision

Well, putting all the photos up on their own tabs was great. I made a matrix and I assigned each photo a subjective score for three categories: 1) Compliance to theme 2)Photography 3)Originality -- the idea here being that it isn't just "which photograph is the highest quality but instead a weighted decision where someone could pull ahead based on one thing or the other. A "perfect" photograph that doesn't quite fit the theme would score about as well as one that fits the theme well but isn't as high quality. Originality -- again subjective -- counts as well.

I am actually awarding two winners and two runners up in each of "Animal" and "Mineral" themes -- there were no "Vegetable" entries to speak of. I really appreciated all the pictures submitted and thanks much all of you.

So let's begin with "Animal"

Animal

Runner up: "Not Quite a Rolling Stone" by Luke -- if there were points for "photo journalism" this would have won. Loved the concept. Did anyone notice that the guitarist looks like a young Leonard Nimoy? Amazing how much the drummer looks like his old self today.

8868286512_9511e2a199_b.jpg

WINNER: "No Moss" by Ricks -- This guy even has a video camera strapped to his belt for crying out loud. The photography I really dug (even as a composite) and the bright light on his head is like the glow of his life force. Great stuff.

5964d1369005763-16th-serious-compacts-salon-challenge-rolling-stone-gathers-no-moss-130514nomossp1120160-edit3-copy.jpg

Mineral

Runner Up: "Appalachian Mill" by gumbee -- could there be a more literal interpretation? It was not outscored for compliance with the theme, lol.

DSCF0657.jpg

WINNER: "Still Standing" by pictogramax -- I love this picture in a "it-could-hang-on-my-wall" kind of love it. It may not have perfectly fit the theme, but it still scored high elsewhere. Did I mention I like it?

View attachment 70313
STILL STANDING by Milan Jovanovic /pictogramax, on Flickr

But, "There Can Be Only One" and I'm letting "Still Standing" by pictogramax be the overall winning entry and it's his turn to do the next Salon Challenge.

Well, I am surprised! I do believe my image corresponds with the theme (otherwise I wouldn't have submitted it), but I'm aware it needs the additional worded explanation to really fit (which is the reasons I provided it also). So I thought I might eventually get mentioned; but to actually win - well, no way. Muchas gracias, John! And thanks also to all the other participants; it was fun challenge which inspired diverse takes on the subject and I enjoyed different interpretations.

I'll come up with something soon for the next installment.

Back