Panasonic Winter in Yosemite with the Panasonic LX7

Beautiful stuff Stan. I'm pretty sure I remember seeing these previously. The last shot of the bride and groom really stuck in my memory.

I fundamentally agree with everything you've written about the LX7. I love almost everything about it and can't wait for the day they design the identical camera a slightly larger body with the 1" sensor from the RX100.

BUT, I have to admit that as much as I like this little camera, I'm back into my typical compact conundrum - I almost never actually USE IT!

Particularly now that we have cameras like the Nikon Coolpix A and Ricoh GR that are the same size (notably smaller, actually, because of the retracting lenses), I'd just about always rather have a similarly pocketable APS camera than a 1/1.7" sensor camera, no matter how great the feature set and how sublime it is in use. There's the issue of the zoom, and you've used it nicely here. But I almost never shoot with zooms on my other cameras and tend not to think like a zoom. I like to get locked into a focal length and just go with it. Zooms confuse me - they give me too many choices. Obviously there are times when a zoom makes a LOT of sense, but my bottom line is I don't enjoy them enough to take advantage of them enough, at which point a fixed lens 28mm in a smaller camera with a WAY larger sensor just makes more sense to me. In the month that I had a Nikon, I had it with me a huge amount of the time. I've never used the LX7 or any other camera that way before.

-Ray

Interesting I'm about complete opposite!
Since I got my G10 my Oly E-P3 gets little use because it can't go in my jacket pocket on my walk to work etc. Similarly as regards compact category, to me what's the point of a compact without a zoom? A prime sounds nice in theory, but for me is too restricting as I want the versatility to go wide and then be able to optically crop the scene without loss of quality - I usually can see one or more detail shots inside the "big picture". If it wasn't for compact zoom cameras I'd be frustrated lugging around a body and multiple lenses ...

Vive la difference!

Interesting I'm about complete opposite!
Since I got my G10 my Oly E-P3 gets little use because it can't go in my jacket pocket on my walk to work etc. Similarly as regards compact category, to me what's the point of a compact without a zoom? A prime sounds nice in theory, but for me is too restricting as I want the versatility to go wide and then be able to optically crop the scene without loss of quality - I usually can see one or more detail shots inside the "big picture". If it wasn't for compact zoom cameras I'd be frustrated lugging around a body and multiple lenses ...

Vive la difference!

I to share your opinion, even though I own primes I do at times find them limiting, or maybe I am just lazy, I much prefer to frame up and then tweak composition using a zoom, high quality zooms though come at a price and size, which is why my recent LX7 purchase (today) is getting me excited.

I to share your opinion, even though I own primes I do at times find them limiting, or maybe I am just lazy, I much prefer to frame up and then tweak composition using a zoom, high quality zooms though come at a price and size, which is why my recent LX7 purchase (today) is getting me excited.

Yeah, I used to be a primes guy, and then the LX7 showed me what I really want, a fast zoom in a small package.

Goodness, these are wonderful. :hail:

Each time I look, I have a new favorite.

Panasonic could sell a million LX7's if potential customers saw your work.

Thanks for the kind words! I really think that it's the subject. Winter in the Sierras is special, and the light can be magical. The difficulty is being there at the right times.

Nice shots Stan! I'd love to see similar shots taken with your larger cameras for comparison.

Here are some Canon 5D3 files, though they are scaled to 1600 max dimension. The main thing is detail, raw pliability, highlight head. IQ is just at another level, and I can see it in prints and on screen.

Here's the 5D3 Tunnel View Image
8664126980_1cb698c6dd_b.jpg

LX7 Tunnel View (note the lighting conditions are ever changing, so one can only take the comparisons so far)
8732189722_1b0f5dd8c0_b.jpg

And of course ISO 6400 is on another level with FF cameras...
8663027427_0567263433_b.jpg

Wow! Well sir, you've made great use of both tools. You've made wonderful use of the LX7 but also demonstrated the additional three dimensionality and pop you can get with a larger sensor and good glass. VERY nice!

-Ray

Back