Wireless shutter release for threaded shutter buttons?

Armanius

Bring Jack back!
Name
Jack
Anyone knows whether such a thing exists?

Cameras like the X100, XP1 and Leica M's have threaded shutter buttons that are mechanically triggered. There are cable remote releases, but I haven't been able to find any wireless one. I figure that surely some smart engineer out there would have made a mechanical contraption that pushes a button by now. I hope!

If not, I'm going to start working on one.

You should! I haven't been able to find anything yet, but found one thread in a "robotics" forum where someone was asking how to make one.

There is a panorama head that is electro-mechanical that uses a lever to trip the shutter for the sequence.

Thanks Bill. Any links to where I could find the thing that you are describing?

I have a Kodak Self Timer. It's a plunger like device that sleeves [one piece goes under, one over] the shutter button. Lift the plunger, it slowly depresses and shoots the image without your touching the camera. Would assume it allows you time to get in a photo if you want. Maybe something on that order? Looks like this though mine is all metal. Not sure if that would work for what you want or not.

Anyone knows whether such a thing exists?

Cameras like the X100, XP1 and Leica M's have threaded shutter buttons that are mechanically triggered. There are cable remote releases, but I haven't been able to find any wireless one. I figure that surely some smart engineer out there would have made a mechanical contraption that pushes a button by now. I hope!

Try an assistant, they usually work well in wireless mode:rolleyes::laugh1:

@Kristen - Thanks, but that plunger thingie doesn't seem to be controllable with a wireless device though! I'm looking for a wireless remote trigger of the shutter. It's fairly simple for the more "modern" cameras with infrared or shutters that are electronically triggered. But I suppose not so simple for mechanical shutter buttons.

@Bob - You are not being helpful Bob! :mad: :)

I figure that surely some smart engineer out there would have made a mechanical contraption that pushes a button by now. I hope!

I just read the directions to the Kodak Self Timer I have. It was a new old purchase I just got so hadn't read into it but the speeds go from one half second to three minutes by adjusting the screw wheel on the back of the canister. The canister for reference is smaller than a roll of 35mm. And as for the top part, that would hook on the plunger end of one of these cable releases like below [not the actual shutter button, my mistake]. The timer goes down, depresses the cable release and the camera fires. Do you need more than three minutes or are you just wanting a more modernized gadget?
View attachment 3377 View attachment 3376
I'm not sure what your application will be. If you tripod the camera, what is the difference if you have a cable release and self timing canister on it.. Sorry if I am not understanding you. Just trying to help :)

Thanks Kristen! Most cameras have a self timer already. I'm trying to find a wireless trigger that would allow me to press the shutter button from far away. This plunger self-timer is pretty cool though!

Methinks you are GASing for a gadget! Not sure what all Pocket Wizard does but you can look there maybe. After that I am out of tech ideas though if someone throws me an M.. I will prompt my engineer husband to create something LOL Then again if someone throws me an M I am not stepping away from it!

The old-timey mechanical timer device to effing cool, but I understand my Armando wants. A remote control trigger so he can decide exactly when to release the shutter.

I think you're going to have to go with Bob's suggestion. I've Googled every possible combination of words trying to find something that does that. I can't believe no one makes such a thing. I'd go invent one with $5 in parts and charge $20 and a week later there would be knockoffs from China on eBay for $.99 with free shipping.

The old-timey mechanical timer device to effing cool, but I understand my Armando wants. A remote control trigger so he can decide exactly when to release the shutter.

I think you're going to have to go with Bob's suggestion. I've Googled every possible combination of words trying to find something that does that. I can't believe no one makes such a thing. I'd go invent one with $5 in parts and charge $20 and a week later there would be knockoffs from China on eBay for $.99 with free shipping.

Ehhh ... I don't like Bob's suggestion! :(

As for your invention, not necessarily! I'll buy it from you for $20 and keep it a secret!

Or YOU can be the one having some Chinese folks making it for 50 cents there, and then selling it for $5 in the US.

Do you have any engineering know how? I'd love to create something like that and sell it. Except the only thing I've ever created was a Lego formula one car.

Hey that's where I got my start! Lego's RULE! No, unfortunately I don't, but I feel like you should be able to build that with parts from Radio Shack......seriously. My wife is an engineer, but her specialty is civil engineering. If you need to plan how best to direct traffic through a a roundabout, she can help with that. But I'm afraid it's just you and I building this camera doo-dad.

You should see if there's a local camera club in your area. Those groups are always a bunch of cool old retired guys that have more smarts in their little pinky than I have in my whole brain. SOmeone there will build you one.

this is seriously one of those things that a mechanical engineer could do in their sleep. Start a kickstarter, show off your idea on a bunch of camera forums.....especially the kind where threaded shutter releases button operator hang out and wait until the right amount of money flows in. There's obviously a tipping point there somewhere where it makes sense. I don;t know enough about what it would take, how much the parts would cost, etc. But I'd be willing to bet there are at least 1000 people willing to pay $20 for one. Now if you can get it done for $5 or so, it's a no brainer. If it costs $60 to make, then maybe you only have 50 people willing to pay $150 for it.

Someone with knowledge needs to crunch the numbers. If it's $20 at retail, I'll buy 2. If it costs $40, I'd buy one for sure.....much more than that and I'd have to think about it. But it would look sweet hanging off the X100. And the cool part is that there are a LOT of potential customers because it is brand agnostic......and all those film shooter....wow. someone needs to take the ball and run with it.

in the olden days we use to use a bulb release while it is not wireless, you could at least far from as far away as 15 to 2 p ft

Back