Leica Wished for a digital CL/CLE

VINCETAN

Top Veteran
Back in the late 80's, I bought a brand new set of Minolta CLE together with the flash, leather bag and three lenses, 28, 40 and 90. I really enjoyed that camera until it was stolen when someone broke in to my car. That was a great little system and a carrying case that is classy and functional. If they only come up with a digital version, I'd be all over it.

vince, is it just the rangefinder thing? because if not, doesnt a panny gm5 (or oly pen f) plus panny 14, 20 and oly 45 come really really close?

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess the Olympus F and the Panny comes really close. But yeah, I wished it comes with the optical rangefinder and the native M mount.

I ended buying more M film cameras, but still enjoy the CLE and I'm glad all its functions still work. Someday they might not. A crap shoot. A Nikon 1 has to substitute for a digital CLE.....at least for me.....as I have the Fotodiox M adapter. The 2.7x crop factor is problematic.

I didn't realize that there was such a set offered until I saw one recently offered online
I ended buying more M film cameras, but still enjoy the CLE and I'm glad all its functions still work. Someday they might not. A crap shoot. A Nikon 1 has to substitute for a digital CLE.....at least for me.....as I have the Fotodiox M adapter. The 2.7x crop factor is problematic.

I was wondering if a CL would feel like a step down if someone already has a M6 or MP. I've been looking for the 40mm summicron and it seems like you can almost get a used copy with a CL for the same price as just a mint copy of the lens by itself.

I also have a CL....which I dearly love(yes the meter works great!). Was talking to Sherri Krauter not long ago suggesting that I might keep it because it was not worth much. She let me have it....saying that great camera and fetching good prices without lens. I did some follow up and saw that she had a point. It does however fetch a better price with the 40mm, which I use on the CL and CLE.

The CLE has a great finder. My favorite perhaps with exception of M3.

What would it take to design digital CLE, have most of it manufactured in China, and just keep the rangefinder optics and coupling for assembly and calibration here? Buy parts and cheap labor bulk, build one one-hundred for $1000 each, finishing one per week or so over a few years?

That's a lot of out-lay and effort, but if done correctly the niche buyers would come out of the woodwork. Might be able to crowd source such an effort ...

Back in the late 80's, I bought a brand new set of Minolta CLE together with the flash, leather bag and three lenses, 28, 40 and 90. I really enjoyed that camera until it was stolen when someone broke in to my car. That was a great little system and a carrying case that is classy and functional. If they only come up with a digital version, I'd be all over it.

The Panasonic GM5 is very nice.

yeah, it totally reminds me of the cle and the IQ ive seen online was impressive. im thinking of getting one to mount my elmarit 21 for some discreet street shooting. im just curious how that m4/3 sensor would handle the uwa rangefinder lens. it stinks on the ff sony sensor and i didnt like it on the fuji xtrans either. however it is close to perfection on my rd1.

yeah, it totally reminds me of the cle and the IQ ive seen online was impressive. im thinking of getting one to mount my elmarit 21 for some discreet street shooting. im just curious how that m4/3 sensor would handle the uwa rangefinder lens. it stinks on the ff sony sensor and i didnt like it on the fuji xtrans either. however it is close to perfection on my rd1.

The standard lenses for the GM5 are pretty small.

Back