Wishlist camera May 2012

Well if one were to strip away the red badge and price, look at it this way - if I wanted a do-it-all high tech camera, I'd get the Canon 5DMkIII which has ultra-high ISO and low light performance, multi-point autofocus, IS, choice of wide angle to extreme telephoto lens, not to mention all kinds of functions and buttons for every other functions a high end DSLR comes equipped with. On the video side of the things, the 5DMkIII has a choice of frame rates from standard 24fps to 60fps for slo-mo work, it has halfway decent codec, improved performance in terms of minimising moire and aliaising, maybe some form of shutter control, HDMI out, audio out, headphone jack, etc.

The Leica M has a reputation for stripping things right down to the minimalist functions. No IS, no autofocus, no proper telephoto at the extreme end, limited ISO when compared with the latest DSLRs. IF it was to come out with video, it may only be able to only 24fps, certainly no autofocus, barely adequate audio or perhaps no audio at all, certainly no audio or HDMI out, no shutter control, no choice in frames and certainly no 60fps slo-mo option. One can only hope it has adequate codec and halfway decent aliaising/moire.

I could live with that. That's kind of what I meant.

Bring back the red badge, price and the Leica reputation back into the picture and yes I totally understand the ribbing and the misinterpretation of my use of the word 'subsist' in that context.

A VF2 for my E-p2 and 20mm lens would really liven things up. But we are never satisfied, so I'll just wait a while, and maybe I'll acquire a slightly used E-M5 some day. Meanwhile I took 30 or so shots this morning with the p2 and Super Tack 55mm. Photographic life is good!

Back