Wonderful non-tutorials to Darktable

mike3996

Legend
Boris is a skillful image processer, no doubt. By his own words, he doesn't do tutorials (which can be a bit of a snoozefest to be sure). Instead he makes short (7-10 minute) annotated videos on how he edits a shot using the freely available darktable.

I have used Darktable since summer 2017 and I only recently discovered his videos. I've picked so many things from these. So good. I can lose my reliance on premade "film presets" and whatnot and instead focus on getting the look I want, manually tweaking the modules.

If you ever think of trying darktable, watch one of his videos for inspiration. He uses whatever is the current version so newer versions use the (brand) new 3.4 features and older ones will use the older ones. Shown techniques as far as I can tell haven't gone obsolete so they work in newer versions.

"Editing moments with darktable"

I'm torn by DT. What is there is awesome. It's what's not there that is niggling at me.

I would very much like more file handling tools. Rename, import, move, etc, etc, etc. DT does none of that.

Without that I struggle with my thoughts on effective workflow.

I'm torn by DT. What is there is awesome. It's what's not there that is niggling at me.

I would very much like more file handling tools. Rename, import, move, etc, etc, etc. DT does none of that.

Without that I struggle with my thoughts on effective workflow.
I dislike what Lightroom takes, it shuffles files it takes around and takes ownership. That's what I figure it is doing.

Darktable is at the other extreme. I maintain the files and darktable won't touch my system.

The pros and cons of each style are up to anyone's preferences. Perhaps the last few years I've come to appreciate the integrated experience what Lightroom is doing. Darktable's DAM features are poor.

But then again, whoever said that a raw developer has to be a DAM as well?

Since I jump around between RAW developer software, I prefer an external DAM software (didn't actually have one until recently. Bought imatch over Christmas.)

Will give Darktable a try - thanks for the links to these videos!

I dislike what Lightroom takes, it shuffles files it takes around and takes ownership. That's what I figure it is doing.

Darktable is at the other extreme. I maintain the files and darktable won't touch my system.

The pros and cons of each style are up to anyone's preferences. Perhaps the last few years I've come to appreciate the integrated experience what Lightroom is doing. Darktable's DAM features are poor.

But then again, whoever said that a raw developer has to be a DAM as well?
Ok. I've never had LR move anything around without me telling it to, but I'm using v6.14.

Having a separate DAM doesn't hurt my head, but virtually all RAW developers have some sort of file navigation capability and won't let you open a specific file for editing from a DAM or any other application.

If I could use a command line switch to toggle this it would be tremendous, but the only app that I found which supports it is Capture One, and I think the switch was not intended to be used the way I use it. With that, it wouldn't surprise me if it evaporated in a future version, but as Axcel Ventures is not likely to see any more of my money, it's really not an issue.

I was an iMatch user before adopting LR. Let's just say we didn't mesh well and leave it at that.

cheers,

Back