Woodcraft

tonyturley

Hall of Famer
Nov 24, 2014
Scott Depot, WV, USA
Tony
Good place to stop for the weekend. Dry fitting the bits on the baritone ukulele. Still have a fair bit of work this week before I commit to glue, but I’m liking the fit. Bindings will be a real challenge. Unlike the tenor, the baritone will have bindings top and bottom.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

tonyturley

Hall of Famer
Nov 24, 2014
Scott Depot, WV, USA
Tony
I have finally gotten around to cutting the binding channels on the larger baritone. Cutting binding channels on a musical instrument can be dicey, no matter how careful one is. I’ve known of people who made a complete mess of their work while cutting the binding channels. Even simple bindings require great care. I’ve actually been putting this operation off for several weeks; this is the first instrument I’ve done where the top and back are curved both end to end and side to side, and I had to give myself time to work out in my head how I was going to tackle the operation. I needn’t have been concerned – the process went without a hitch.

tonyturley

Hall of Famer
Nov 24, 2014
Scott Depot, WV, USA
Tony
Uke building progress. The tenor on the left is nearly complete, and will get a few more hand rubbed coats of Tru-Oil this week. The baritone on the right just needs one more binding strip installed before I can begin the finish process. Compare the image directly above to the one below.

Soon my short scale, small body steel string acoustic guitar build begins. I was in the workshop preparing my body mold and drawings for it this morning.

uke progress.jpg

tonyturley

Hall of Famer
Nov 24, 2014
Scott Depot, WV, USA
Tony
Insomnia had me down in the workshop by 4 AM today. Here I'm planning for my next project, a small body steel string guitar with a 23" scale. 25.4" or 24.9" are the usual scales for most guitars. Four frets is the largest span I can typically reach, and the shorter scale makes it a lot easier to get those stretches. The body molds keep the guitar sides square and rigid while the various reinforcements are glued in place.

tonyturley

Hall of Famer
Nov 24, 2014
Scott Depot, WV, USA
Tony
The baritone ukulele project is nearing the finishing stage. Today I finished scraping and cleaning up the final Rosewood binding strip. Everything has been sanded to a medium grit. I’ll step away from the project for a day or two and come back with fresh eyes and a magnifying glass, examining it carefully for imperfections I might have missed. Then final sanding, and I’ll start applying the thin finishing layers before gluing on the neck.

Latest posts

Latest threads

Top Bottom