Fuji Working on my own gear purge, but....

I've been trying to strike a balance recently. It's frustrating for me. For those of you who can simplify, I'm a bit envious.

Photography, for me, isn't just about the photos. It's also about stress relief and relaxation. It's one of the few activities I enjoy, that I can still do. I need that outlet in my life. Add in the fact that I enjoy shooting a variety of subjects that require different gear, and that I'm a gear guy and enjoy tinkering with technostuff...

Between some recent health issues, the aging issues related to my hands and eyesight, and the ergonomics and design decisions of the camera makers, I cannot find the combo of what I need and what I want with any one manufacturer. It isn't easy to do, even using multiple systems, while trying to minimize gear overlap and costs. To be able to truly simplify, I'd have to drop several subjects I enjoy shooting. Not sure if I'm at that point. Yet.

I've been trying to strike a balance recently. It's frustrating for me. For those of you who can simplify, I'm a bit envious.

I simplified once. When this thread was initially started. Then fell right back down the rabbit hole of shooting more/different things which, before I could even put thought into it, had me re buying more gear. And a lot of photography becoming work, instead of enjoyable. I started a discussion over the summer due to shooting what is a larger event, and being unable to decide which gear to shoot it with because I had too many choices. While I should be shooting that same event next summer. It will be with what I have, and be fun again.

I have fallen down that rabbit hole more than once. I wanted to capture wildlife and birds, so I bought this lens. I wanted wide angle waterfall images, so I bought that lens. If one allows it, the cycle never ends. Carrying a premium medium range telephoto zoom lens in a bar bag on my bike got old, despite being able to get some nice images. The vast majority of what I've bought over the past few years is long gone, and I'm looking really hard at my two cameras and single premium lens right now. It's not a lot of gear, but if I decide to make a move, I want it to be a long term one.

It's a never ending cycle. Currently at three bodies, thinking of cutting that to just 2.

But I do have very different kits so that helps.

E-M1.2
PL 8-18
PL 25
Sig 56
O Pro 12-100
Pan 100-300

X-E3
15-45
18-55
18 f/2
(Sold my 27)

X70

Currently looking to trade the X-E3 for a smaller Oly body to consolidate more, might even sell off the X70. Maybe....

I called an audible in my current gear purge. For a few reasons. I’m going to keep the 16mm 1.4, and instead sell the 35 f2. There Is a lot of history between that lens and me. Also, there are things I shoot which 23mm will not be wide enough for. Another issue is, with the 23 f2 and 35 f2 in my kit. There are still moments of indecisiveness over which to grab. Which is one of the big points of downsizing. Both the 16mm and 90mm are not used nearly as much as the 23/50 pair. But when they are needed, there is no getting around it with creative composition or cropping. Lastly, a recent portrait session proved the 23 f2 is quite capable for portrait work.

I really like the new AF lenses.
18 2.8, 45 1.8 and 85 1.4.
All are moderately priced and perform well imo. Two of three are small and light.

I'd say pretty close to the 14, 35(1.4) and 56 - which are three of my all time favs.

My kit is getting a slight adjustment. I just picked up a new 23 WR for a great price. Don't have a camera to go with it yet, but I'm planning on renting one for a week or so. I think I'll keep the Lumix GX9, as it is a great fit for the old Pen F 38/1.8 film lens. The X100S and Leica 15/1.7 will go. I am torn between the X-Pro2 and another X-T2. I am not a huge fan of DSLR styling, but I do find the flip out screen occasionally useful. Oh how I long for a Fuji body the size of the GX9, weather sealed, RF style, with a tilt screen.

With the Pro2 and T2, it really depends on how you like to shoot. The T2 is designed to get out of your way, where the Pro2 is designed to get in your way. As much as I hate the marketing nonsense, the Pro2 really is a different way of shooting. But, if you prefer the rangefinder ergonomics, it can be set to get mainly out of your way.

I decided to step back in time . . . I found a mint condition X-T1 for a really good price. It's not the latest or greatest, but I've had the T1/23WR combination before, they work well together, and this combination was less than a T2 by itself. 16MP is plenty for me, and having Acros wasn't worth several hundred more $$$. Other things like the dual card slots and joystick are not big issues for me.

I decided to step back in time . . . I found a mint condition X-T1 for a really good price. It's not the latest or greatest, but I've had the T1/23WR combination before, they work well together, and this combination was less than a T2 by itself. 16MP is plenty for me, and having Acros wasn't worth several hundred more $$$. Other things like the dual card slots and joystick are not big issues for me.
I'm waiting for dual joysticks and direct upload to the Googapplezon orbital quantum computer.

Oh how I long for a Fuji body the size of the GX9, weather sealed, RF style, with a tilt screen.
Amen! Add in IBIS, and I'll be all over it.

Regarding lenses: I can't see myself ever not having an X100 series camera, and I'm strongly considering adding an XT2 or XH1 with the 50/2. It's small-ish, weather sealed, and a big enough jump in focal length from the X100's 23mm to avoid indecision, while still being versatile. So the 23/2 and 50/2 combination might be my main system too. But to be fair, if the 56/1.2 had been a bit smaller, cheaper and weather sealed, I'd go for that one, mainly due to the additional DoF control

Lens and body purge completed. I just shipped off the last piece. Now I'm going to downsize my lights from AD600's to AD200's. I'm giving up 400w in power. But 200w lights are bright enough for what I shoot. Plus, the AD200's are a lot more portable and versatile. I can throw the AD200 in a camera bag with a body and two lenses.

.....downsize my lights from AD600's to AD200's. I'm giving up 400w in power. But 200w lights are bright enough for what I shoot. Plus, the AD200's are a lot more portable and versatile. I can throw the AD200 in a camera bag with a body and two lenses.
I SOOO wish these were available back when I was shooting events or at least when I could've still justified changing my mono lights for them. Now I really don't have a need for them, but still....

I SOOO wish these were available back when I was shooting events or at least when I could've still justified changing my mono lights for them. Now I really don't have a need for them, but still....
I picked up one as a backup to my AD600's from a guy on FM who used it for one shoot. So basically brand new. I find myself grabbing the AD200 most of the time because it's so much easier to work with.

Back