Working with New Lightroom

Yes, but since i move images around - to different folders or different devices - quite often, that's really inconvenient for me because LR keeps losing track of my raw files... And even if I don't move the raw file, trying to find back the import i did on an image is often more work than it should be. Software should just respect my cluttered folder choices :D
Something like OnOne Raw works within your file system the way you are wanting to work. There is no importing. Just a file system directory. If you move files around, then you just click on the folder which the file is located in.

LR is designed around its catalog - if you don’t want to deal with the catalog, you should think twice about using LR as a raw converter and post processor. But “dealing” with the catalog, while confusing at first, turns what can be a messy task otherwise into a much more useable workflow.

LR lets you use any folder structure or organization you choose. You simply import the images in your folder into the catalog without moving them. But I (and many users) find that standardizing on an extremely simple folder structure works best. For instance, I use:

MasterCat/yyyy/yyyy-mm-dd [shoot name]

for my structure. While I could search for and find an image by looking for e.g. “Taylor’s Birthday Party”, LR offers the ability to attach keywords to any image (or grouped of images at one time). So I have keywords like “Family Group Shot”, “Musicians”, etc. You can also bulk attach locations, peoples names, or any other descriptive info you like. These capabilities remove one of the major reasons I used to reorganize my folders as I thought differently about how I wanted to search for files.

The next feature is that all edits are non-destructive. This has the obvious advantage that you can undo any edits at any time. But it also has the subtle advantage that you don’t need to “save” eg the finished jpg from your edits. The is no notion of “save”. You simply do the edits, then print, or export to a file, or email to a friend, or post on Instagram as desired.

You can also create “virtual copies”, so for instance you could have a square crop for Instagram but a 4x3 crop for printing if you desire. No new image files are ever created for this - there’s merely an additional entry in the catalog, in the same folder structure as the original, but with “..Copy 1” appended to the name. Again, you never need to move the original file anywhere.

LR lets you keep an image in Collections, which are manually or automatically maintained according to your criteria as you add new images to the catalog. So I have a Collection of Musicians, of Flowers, of Bridges, etc. But the original image files are still in their original folders.

So the result of this is that I never move my images around on disk unless I’m actually restructuring my storage system, like installing a new larger drive. Then it’s a simple matter of moving the folder(s) in LR and it all continues to work as before.

Is that with the 20gb Photography plan? Oddly Adobe doesn't list Bridge anywhere when comparing the CC plans.
Bridge CC is free for everyone, no plan required. It’s True: Adobe Bridge CC Is Completely Free for Everyone, for Life!

However, if you don't have an activated CC product, you dont get access to ACR. Not even if you have Elements. I installed Photoshop again and then Bridge could use ACR, but I have uninstalled it, I just cant go down that path again...interestingly, ACR still works within Bridge but I am expecting that to stop once the trial time is over.

Also... neither of my Adobe accounts show that I own Lightroom 6 standalone, and if I install it, my licence key gets rejected. I can't be bothered chasing it up now, but am very curious about why that might have happened.

My personal folders are organized be subject and date (by family / by date; by sports / by date; etc). It's been working for me. My professional stuff is all by client.

As for Adobe and the subscription? My 250k images are nicely cataloged in stand alone LR 6.14. If the subscription model had a minimum period or buy out to maintain full functionality I would do it in a heart beat, sadly they don't offer either.

Back