World is a strange place and little bit history of photography

Matero

Hall of Famer
This is the first photograph taken in Finland.

IMG_3354.jpeg

The first daguerreotype photograph taken in Finland was a daguerreotype taken by medical doctor Henrik Cajander on 3rd November 1842 of Nobel House at Uudenmaankatu 8. (Wikipedia)

The house called Nobel House is, or actually was, located in my hometown Turku, which has sad history of demolished old buildings. And they tore down this one also in 1960's.

Did I say Nobel? Peace prize Nobel? Not quite, the house was designed by Immanuel Nobel, the father of THE Alfred Nobel. Immanuel was staying in Turku, Finland, because his businesses went wrong back in home in Stockholm, Sweden. Immanuel left his family to Sweden, stayed a while in Turku and planned to sell his inventions: land and sea mines to the russian emperor Nikolai 1st. Who eventually was interested and the Immanuel's family moved over to russia. And Alfred started his enterprise in russia, although Immanuel lost his businesses again after Crimean war 1856 and moved back to Sweden.

The man who recommended russian businesses to Immanuel Nobel was Lars Gabriel von Haartman, Finnish politician and nobleman, whose descendant and name holder I know well from past business occasions.

Life is strange, and soon there will be a war in Crimean, again 😒

Interesting history. I live in Houston, Texas area. Like Turku, Houston has a bad habit of tearing down the old. The Lamar Hotel is one victim. It had a suite numbered 8F which stood for 8 friends. At its peak, the state was essentially run from that suite.

One further note, one of my great grandfathers served with the 77th Middlesex Regiment in the Crimean war. He was the regiment’s bandmaster. Being in the band, he was not a combatant. He served as a stretcher bearer. Family history says he was reported missing and given up for dead at Sevastopol but those reports were wrong.

Back