Would like to try ?

Why is this thread under "Fuji Cameras" o_O

Anyway, unrelated to the choice of forums, would like to try the X-T3. You know, for free. There are some cameras I'd like to try for money, even some cameras I'd like to just buy (and sell if I didn't like them) but the X-T3 is currently just something I'd like to try...
Because having all these cameras under one roof is confusing. Besides, the two of us want a Fuji so that justifies it. :D

The Sony RX1 has called to me for quite a while now - the prices on used models that are actually in good shape has held me back, in addition to the poor menu system and lack of an EVF. In spite of this, the matching of that FF sensor and beautiful lens into a body so dang small have sung a siren song in my ears for a long time. I doubt I will ever buy one.

Lately I've really been feeling the call of a true rangefinder with the quick manual focus acquisition of Leica's lenses with their short throws and focus tabs (not to mention zone focus markers). That just seems like a discipline I'd really like to train myself in. EVFs are great but manual focus has never been ideal with them (magnification and focus peaking take you out of the scene so much). I'm not adverse to 35mm film, but I wish I knew of a really economical, reliable rangefinder that would serve my needs. Or that a digital one existed with the amenities (often seen as antiquarianism) of Leica's offerings, without the ridiculous price tag.

A Panasonic-Leica 50-200 f/2.8-4. I like my PL 12-60 a lot, and while I don't have a frequent need for a long lens, I do find them useful from time to time. I have a couple of older MF telephotos collecting dust on the shelf, but they are heavy and I am not as steady as I used to be, I think. I plan to rent the PL 50-200 some time this Spring, as its current price is just far too high for my hobbyist needs.

EVFs are great but manual focus has never been ideal with them (magnification and focus peaking take you out of the scene so much).
While I'd agree a true rangefinder is the absolute best way to manually focus lenses, what's your opinion on the Fuji X-T series and their "dual view" functionality? It splits up the large EVF into two smaller views that lets you keep the composition visible while also having magnifying/fp/digital-split-prism portion of the focus point in a separate view

While I'd agree a true rangefinder is the absolute best way to manually focus lenses, what's your opinion on the Fuji X-T series and their "dual view" functionality? It splits up the large EVF into two smaller views that lets you keep the composition visible while also having magnifying/fp/digital-split-prism portion of the focus point in a separate view
Sorry, I don't have a better answer than... I'm just not into Fuji. As much as I want to like them I just can't. Also I've just never found any electronically assisted manual focus mechanism as nice as looking at a purely mechanical and optical split image, or what have you, for setting focus.

The dirty secret, of course, is that I can probably back button autofocus using center point and then recompose faster than I could ever manual focus... But I feel like that just takes a lot of multitasking. I like how rangefinder windows never take you out of the shot, even when pressing the shutter.

I did use the original X100 for a while and the viewfinder was nice (and the files were amazing) but it didn't overcome the many difficult quirks and archaic foibles about that camera.

A Phase One XF IQ4 system. And a computer capable of handling the files. Also I would love to try the GFXr, Nikon DF, and I have some interest in the new Nikon mirrorless. Maybe someday.

I think in the new year...if the funds support it, I may need to try the (now kinda dated....current state of the art) X100f. I don't miss my old one....not in any sort of "I can't live without it" sort of way...but I do prefer it's form factor to shooting with a phone...and I DO seem to get better shots with a fixed focal length than wandering around with a zoom attached to my camera.

Sorry, I don't have a better answer than... I'm just not into Fuji. As much as I want to like them I just can't. Also I've just never found any electronically assisted manual focus mechanism as nice as looking at a purely mechanical and optical split image, or what have you, for setting focus.
Hey now. No need to be sorry -- it's ok to dislike a brand. Not everything is for everybody :)

I meant that Fuji X-T series has what I believe is unique to EVF cameras, the dual view option.

Parents today need to have these conversations with their kids.

Good point. Both growing up now and being a parent now have their challenges. How much social media access to give the kids, and how to educate them, is certainly a challenge. It will be interesting to see how generations that have experienced social media in their childhood decide to raise their kids in this regard.

Getting back on topic, I still want to try the Insta360 One X. This new video about the camera (from noted youtube creator Potato Jet :)) caught my eye.

Cosina Voigtlander giving me fits, again. Would like to try the two newly announced M-mount Vintage Line lenses - Color-Skopar 21mm F3.5 and Ultron 35mm F2 Aspherical.

If my Vintage Line 50mm f/3.5 Heliar is an indicator, I'll likely like these two new offerings. :coffee-79:

Cosina Voigtlander giving me fits, again. Would like to try the two newly announced M-mount Vintage Line lenses - Color-Skopar 21mm F3.5 and Ultron 35mm F2 Aspherical.

If my Vintage Line 50mm f/3.5 Heliar is an indicator, I'll likely like these two new offerings. :coffee-79:
I understand these new lenses are with modern designs -- no Italian Flags with the 21? Anyway, both look nice. Would really consider these if I was blessed with an M

I understand these new lenses are with modern designs -- no Italian Flags with the 21? Anyway, both look nice. Would really consider these if I was blessed with an M

Yep - modern optical design and mechanicals, vintage looks. My Heliar is solid, smooth and well-damped focus, feels good to use. No complaints with the optics, bokeh is smooth. Only odd thing IMHO on the Heliar is clickless aperture, takes a bit to get used to not changing aperture inadvertently. Hopefully the 21 and 35 don't have that.

Back