Fuji Would you replace a 5D with an X100S?

alophotoco

Perhaps it's apples to oranges, but if you were a Canon 5D owner, would you replace it with an X100S?

I'm a semi-professional (or extreme hobbyist) photographer. I currently own a 5D and a solid range of high quality prime lenses. I really do love the camera, and it works very well for what I shoot - weddings, portraits, pets, nature, etc. But I'm also very enthusiastic about travel photography (which is what lead me towards making a part time job out of photography), and the 5D, with all its stuff, just isn't travel friendly. Big, bulky, basically a 30 lb backpack of stuff to carry around. I think I would enjoy the simplicity of a X100S, especially in terms of travel photography and street photography (where an X100 is much more discreet than a 5D). But would it be too extreme a transition? I'm okay with no longer doing weddings, and scaling back on portraits, pets, etc. But I wouldn't want to sacrifice on nature/landscapes, star trailing, etc.

Thoughts?

I couldn't see the X100S replacing a 5D + primes as it has a fixed focal length lens. I can certainly see it as a supplement though. That's how I intend to use it (alongside my 5DII and E-PL1), but I expect the X100S will become my most used camera. For more formal portrait work the 5DII will still do the heavy lifting and my E-PL1 and two-zoom kit will come along with the X100S on any travels where I would require versatility in focal length.

It really comes down to what you think you really want/need. What lenses do you use most on your 5D? and what apertures? If you really like shallow DOF for example, the X100S can't replace the 5D's full frame sensor and longer focal lengths. If however you find that you shoot relatively wide (28-40mm) and stopped down you may be able to get by on just the 35mm equivalent FOV.

I shoot probably 95% of my work with either my 20mm or 50mm, but I do shoot with wider apertures more often than not - 1.8 and up, not typically over 5.6.

You may then find that limit of a single 35mm FOV not to be too problematic. Shallow DOF is certainly achievable using the X100S, just not like a FF camera with wide open lenses, especially at anything past more than a few feet or with a background relatively close behind your subject. My main concern would be the limitations in travel photography, as sometimes you just want/need a longer lens.

I had these same thoughts, but came up with a resounding no. For all of its bulk and 17-40L, 24-105L and 70-200 f2.8 L there are times when I ned it to do what the Fuji (any Fuji) cannt do as well. For travel, my solution was to buy a Domke roller travel ase for every piece of equipment I own.

Cheers

XP1 actually replaced my 5D and I only have the 35mm right now. Will eventually get the 56mm when it's released and possibly a wider lens or X100s to round out the kit. I also had an X10 (now waiting for the X20 to be shipped to me) as a companion camera. This replaced the Canon and the two primes and one zoom I had along with it. Purely an amateur speaking here, but I haven't looked back since and my shoulders and back are thanking me whenever I go out to shoot or travel. Image-wise, I actually like the results better...could be I'm improving my skills and I also find myself shooting more. Might have been a different story if I had the Mk 2/3 and some nicer lenses...

Everybody's different, but I know if it were me I think I'd miss too many things moving from a FF DSLR with multiple lenses to only an X100S. However, it'd probably make a great companion camera for travel. That's one of the roles I foresee it working well for me in, as a travel camera by itself if I'm going ultra light, or in combination with my Nikon or m4/3 gear on other trips.

I guess a lot depends on how and what you shoot. If you're used to just shooting one or two primes on the 5D and you're just looking for a small camera with good IQ and don't mind a single fixed 35mm lens, maybe it'll work for you, not sure. I would say my best advice is don't sell the 5D until you've had a chance to try the X100S for a while, just in case!

X100S or X20 as a supplement travel kind of camera but not to replace your FF kit. You will find instances in which you will want to use one or the other. And if you want the ability to zoom as in an all in one type lens then definitely the X20. The thing about a travel camera is if it can't do what you need it to do in a pinch, then it's not a very good travel camera. At home you can limit yourself to one lens.. but away from home if there is something you just want to get a shot of.. wayyy over there and your legs can't take you there.. you want to be able to at least get a photo of it and not have to crop a gazillion times over to get a grainy something-or-other captured with a prime. Good luck in your choice!

Back