Would you swap an Olympus E-M10 for a Nikon J5?

That was another factor, it really is the same size as the GM1/5 with the 14mm or 12-32mm. But the lack of a tilt screen is one of the reasons I sold my last GM5.

The tilt screen will be handy on the J5. I'm still amazed by the all-electronic shutter. There's zero shutter black out. I'm wondering if this will be the future of photography in the next 10 years? I had to switch the camera to single shot, because if you're not careful you can capture several dozen frames without even knowing it!

When it comes to 1" sensors I'd be much more tempted by compacts than by the Nikon 1 system. Somy, Panasonic and Canon all have good options in the pocketable compact department, and Sony and Panasonic also have tempting superzooms. They make me personally feel like the Nikon 1 series' USPs are marginal. That might've been different if Nikon had put some more effort into the waterproof versions - an AW1 type camera with evf and a waterproof 18/1.8 might've been tempting.

Does the J5 have a global shutter? Or just really fast sequential readout?

When it comes to 1" sensors I'd be much more tempted by compacts than by the Nikon 1 system. Somy, Panasonic and Canon all have good options in the pocketable compact department, and Sony and Panasonic also have tempting superzooms. They make me personally feel like the Nikon 1 series' USPs are marginal. That might've been different if Nikon had put some more effort into the waterproof versions - an AW1 type camera with evf and a waterproof 18/1.8 might've been tempting.

Normally I'd agree that 1" compact P&S cameras are a better choice, but Nikon J5 bodies can be found for cheap (I've seen them go for under $200 USD) and same goes for the lenses. There are a lot of good cameras out right now, but the appeal of the Nikon 1 system is finding the good deals. Also the lenses are quite capable and the raw files clean up nicely. I'm probably the only one on Flickr posting current images from the V1 camera! :D

Nikon did a lot of things wrong with the one series, sadly to many. But phase AF from the start? That was and is a big plus.

I've been torn when I thunk about micro SD cards. On the one hand the size, on the other both my phone and tablet have micro card slot.

I'm not really in support of using them for digital cameras due to the slower write speeds, plus micro SD cards in smart devices are usually left in the device and not constantly removed. Regular SD cards are fragile as-is. Though there's an app called Airnef that lets you use the wifi of the camera to connect directly to your computer to upload your photos. I installed it and it works pretty well, except it's a bit slow. You can also download files via the USB 2.0 slot, but every USB 2.0 slot I've used eventually wears out, so I'm very hesitant to use that method.

I took one trip where I used a micro and adapter in my camera. It was handy to just pop the card in my tablet at the end of the day to review images and share any I wanted. I've never had a slot wear out, but for the most I also just leave the card in place on my phone and tablet.

Back