Would you take the GM1 or the LX7?

• Thread starter Deleted member 6640
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6640

TL;DR
I have a GM1 + 12-32mm and don't plan on getting any other lenses, and I am wondering if I should swap it for the LX7?

Long story:

I'm happy with my GR, but my girlfriend needs something to zoom with. I know she would use auto only and be happy with just about anything better than the camera on her phone. I was thinking about the Canon S120, which she would love for sure due to it's size.

But then a week ago I saw a mint GM1 + 12-32mm going for 160€ on a local camera forum and I had to buy it. She doesn't like it as it's still quite thick, but says it's manageable. She also would like some more reach. Today on the same forum I saw a mint LX7 going for 150€. I compared the sizes and the LX7 is not a lot thinner while the other dimensions are quite a bit larger. I wonder what kind of a change that would make in a woman's purse...

What would you do? For example, is the larger sensor in the GM1 better than the faster lens in the LX7? Which one is better when used in auto mode (iso vs shutter speed etc)?

Ofcourse I would buy the LX7 and keep the GM1, and get all kinds of nice lenses for it...but I guess she wouldn't agree with me ;)

I have to agree with Steve. The LX7 is a great little camera but the GM1's sensor wins out. Plus, if you or your girlfriend change your mind about adding lenses, the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 prime does an awesome job on the GM1 and GM5. If a pocketable point-and-shoot is what you or she really wants, then Steve is right. Go for the original Sony RX100. Check out eBay. New examples can be found well under $400 U.S.

I appreciate your input guys!
Luke, you are spot on, she would love a Canon Sxxx. But she is ready to make a sacrifice or two to get a camera that I would be happy to use too. I hate it when we (I) get things for others and in reality think about ourselves. That's also why I didn't think about the RX100. I had it once but didn't feel the UI.

Well, I think we'll keep the GM1 for now :)

Good decision! If things work out, think about the diminuitive Panasonic 35-100 f/4.0-5.6 to complete a great walkabout and competent travel kit ... The 12-32mm is a little gem anyway, so it's worth keeping around no matter what (at least if you've got one that holds up - sadly, mine didn't).

M.

Yeah, I heard that the 12-32mm is sharp, but I was amazed when I tried it for the first time. The 35-100 seems like a nice companion. I wonder if it's also as good...

What happened to your lens, it just fell apart?

It wasn't that bad - the zoom ring came off, something that happened to a number of people. I made the mistake to try and have it repaired - Panasonic here in Switzerland seized the lens, declared it irrepairable and disposed of it (I was told they had "lost" it); I got a replacement, but it's actually flawed (something I knew of when I accepted it). What I should have done is repair it myself with a little glue and patience. If it ever happens to you, just clean out the zoom ring on the inside, remove the residue on the barrel and glue it on again with a small amount of metal glue. That's what I should have done.

That said, the lens delivers, and what I read about the 35-100mm is equally impressive. Maybe someone who has shot with the lens for some time can chime in - I held it and shot a couple of images, but since I wasn't able to take it out of the shop, I didn't come away with anything to fully judge it by. It felt nice and tidy, but not quite as positive as the 12-32mm - more like the also quite compelling Panasonic 14-42mm II (another lens that punches way above its weight), though it's collapsible like the 12-32mm. I didn't really look any further into this lens since I actually have my bases covered for that focal length (when it comes to zooms, that is), but the size and presumed quality make it appealing in spite of that.

M.

Thanks for the lengthy reply, I'll keep that in mind if mine breaks. Now that you mention it I remember reading about the zoom ring coming off. Funny they call it irrepairable when you could fix it with some glue.

I've had both, but the GM1/12-32 is a wonderful thing to hold in the hand. It's somehow just a perfect fit, especially for smaller hands.

Edit: I don't think it's just the superior sensor size either - the image quality on autoWB was always much better with the GM1 in my experience.

Back