Fuji Would you upgrade from x10 to x20

alexander

I have an x10 which I use alongside my slr system. Most of my pictures are of people in informal situations sometimes in low light. I really enjoy the camera and it is well suited to photographing people. Here is my dilemma. Focusing can be a problem. I use the ovf almost all of the time and find focusing is not always reliable. Probably losing 25% of shots due to focus past the person or hunted in low light. I find the image quality great. Is it worth upgrading for the improved focusing and the focus readout in the ovf of the x20?

When I used the X10, more often I used the rear LCD, so given that I probably wouldn't upgrade. If I used the OVF almost all the time like you, I'd probably upgrade.

I like the X10 rather more than any other compact I've owned.
Once Fuji had changed the X10 sensor to stop orbing it became almost perfect for me.
Although never fully convinced by the EXR sensor advantages , it does seem to offer great Dynamic Range albeit at the cost of resolution.

I love what I see of the X20 with an excellent viewfinder but other advantages just don't seem tangible on the evidence so far produced.
In the Fuji Marketing material I don't see any indication on an improvement in DR..perhaps I've missed it.
The marketing material shows an improvement in resolution but when read carefully you will see that the improvement is only simulated as is the improvement in noise.

We need to see real pictures from owners of both cameras to see if I can justify the upgrade.

Although the X20 looks like another VERY nice X-series camera, based on the Fujifilm website and the image samples we've seen on various sites so far I'm not planning to buy the X20 unless my X10 breaks. I am perfectly happy with the X10 for the times I want to travel light with a nice zoom lens. The X20 looks like it is better than the X10 in terms of the IQ and OVF, but from what I can see it's a modest improvement. If and when I'm concerned about pixel-peeping image quality I have other cameras with m4/3 and APS-C sensors.

Keep an eye on what people are posting on Flickr and similar sites. I usually search for "Fujifilm X20", sort the images by Recent and that gives me a selection of recently posted X20 images from a variety of sources. Obviously it's a scattergun approach and you get some spurious results, but it's a quick way of seeing real world pictures shot by real users. Quite often the EXIF data is available too, if you're interested.

-R

It is my intention to upgrade -- order already in -- for precisely the reasons you point to. Focus box and confirmation in finder, ala the X100, are extremely important to me. Faster focusing, also. These are the two areas where the X10 has been less than ideal. I've not had and do not expect to have issues with the image quality from either -- and no, I don't screw around with the 6mp stuff so popular with the pixel peepers.

Those two improvements -- focusing speed and a better viewfinder -- alone justify the upgrade in my estimation.

I got really excited when the X20 was announced and was initially of a mind to be an early adopter. As a person who loves optical viewfinders, the enhanced display sounds like a great upgrade.

However, I regained control of myself and cancelled my pre-order; plenty of time to see and hear the real world experiences of those who are the pioneers. I've been burned a couple times on wanting to be among the first; patience this time.

I've owned my X10 for about a year now, and my only complaint IS the viewfinder: I have no problem with the quality of the view, but in bright sunlight, for me, shooting with the rear LCD is problematic. So to have the basics in the viewfinder (shutter speed, aperture, and focus confirmation) is a 'gotta have'. I'll keep the X10. It will be interesting to see the difference with the X-Trans/EXR2 processor, and I do like they've included the 'Soft Focus' in the Art Filters. I really have no AF complaints. I will be glad if and when Fujifilm decides to adopt RGB histograms . . . . .

So for me, the info in the viewfinder fixes my 1-item wish list, and I'll get one.

I'm definitely going to wait until some of the trusted folks here have the X20 in hand and share their thoughts vs the X10.

For me, the overall IQ has to be improved more than a little. Otherwise it looks like I'm paying about $300 (if I sell my X10 and buy a new X20) to get better OVF and improved video. Those are nice things, but not worth $300 to me.

I've heard others complain about missed focus using the optical viewfinder, but I did not have any problem with my x10; it almost always got the focus right. I did not use the OVF for close work, however, as parallax problems, inevitable in a viewfinder off center and not through the lens, start to be problematical at close distances. If the x20 fixes that problem the way the X100 did with firmware updates, I'd get it in a heartbeat. I love using the optical finder, and the more useful it is the better. Still, at close working distances, the EVF is going to frame things more accurately. It's the nature of the "rangefinder-like" finder.

don't screw around with the 6mp stuff so popular with the pixel peepers.
Have you ever taken the time to compare the results of 6mp/higherDR and 12mp photos? I did and the difference in IQ can be substantial (especially clouds in otherwise clear skies). That does not have anything to do with pixelpeeping.

Back