Wrestling

Rick Waldroup

Veteran
Wrestling - Cleburne, Texas - June 30, 2012

p964524131-5.jpg

p841605382-5.jpg

p769873594-5.jpg

wow, those are some pretty intense photos! What kind of wrestling match is it?

Thanks for the comments.

It is a "professional" wrestling match, which means that in the U.S. this is more of an entertainment event than an actual sporting event. It is a crazy event and I have shot a couple of these, including midget wrestling. Just another example of some of the craziness associated with my country.:)

ah, so it's similar to the sort of stuff hulk hogan did? whenever I see that on TV (yes, it's even aired here sometimes!), I'm amazed at how it attracts such huge crowds... personally I'd rather see actual wrestling, but I suppose due to its strategic nature it's not always as spectacular and fast-paced as "professional" wrestling

Brilliant images! This to me is a great example of "street photography" off the streets. The images put me right there in the middle of the action. Very compelling. Thanks for sharing!

ah, so it's similar to the sort of stuff hulk hogan did? whenever I see that on TV (yes, it's even aired here sometimes!), I'm amazed at how it attracts such huge crowds... personally I'd rather see actual wrestling, but I suppose due to its strategic nature it's not always as spectacular and fast-paced as "professional" wrestling

Yes, if you are familiar with Hulk Hogan, then this is right along those same lines.

I like these Rick, great documentary.
Can I ask if the brightness and noise on the face is a mask worn by the subject or an artifact of your post-processing? Just can't quite tell, but the skin of the face looks very different to that on the arm.
Again not a criticism, just curious. A great series!!!

Yes, the brightness on her face is from the PP and the girl herself. She was wearing very heavy, light makeup, almost like a pancake type of makeup. The women involved in these events tend to wear heavy makeup- dark lipstick, heavy eye shadow, a heavy light foundation, etc, so I wanted it as light as possible but perhaps I pushed it a bit too far? I wondered about that myself when I was working on the photo.

Thanks for the comments.

Didn't realize she was one of the "wrestlers" - great shots Rick! I hate this "sport" and don't think I could ever bring myself to attend in person, even to photograph it. It is an amazing little slice of Americana though. And jeez, you've captured it really well - the grainy B&W is perfect!

-Ray

I think I'd be interested to see a version of #3 with a bit less processing on her face.

as a complete aside, I was once in a supermarket when a little boy, perhaps 6 or 7 years old, stopped dead in the aisle in front of me, pointed at me and shrieked "Stone Cold!" ... I had to laugh

I want to thank everyone for the comments.

Ray, I know what you mean about these types of events. However, I will shoot almost anything, especially if it leans a bit to the strange or bizarre side of things.:cool:

We do have a crazy country, don't we?! Your choice of B&W and the graininess add to the surreal and weirdness beautifully!

I hadn't realized the woman in question was a wrestler either...I almost thought she was checking her cell phone.

My own favorite is your second one - that fellow with the dark suit and light tie...wearing the shades and that hat...wielding that cane is a counterpunch, if I may, to those two wrangling on the floor. Well seen and caught, Rick.:drinks: I think I'd be hiding behind my long lens that I don't have.;)

oh this is what made me love this shot!
the glowing magical look about her face
it could be cropped down to basically just be a shot of the face, and id still think it was fantastical!

Yes, the brightness on her face is from the PP and the girl herself. She was wearing very heavy, light makeup, almost like a pancake type of makeup. The women involved in these events tend to wear heavy makeup- dark lipstick, heavy eye shadow, a heavy light foundation, etc, so I wanted it as light as possible but perhaps I pushed it a bit too far? I wondered about that myself when I was working on the photo.

Thanks for the comments.

Back