Fuji X-10 Sensor exchange - in the USA

My new camera came in today. I have not taken a bunch of photos yet, but I did manage to take a couple to see if there were no major problems such as dust on sensor etc. I did get a new camera with a serial number that starts with 21A5xxxxx. The only minor issue, and I mean very minor is that I found the teeniest speck of dust inside the lens assembly. After doing the flashlight test and rotating the entire lens assembly around, I found it after 5 minutes of searching. Yep, that is right. I am a little obsessive when it comes to detail like that. My first x10 had dust when I first received it, and my second x10 was dust free when I got a replacement. With that being said, I don't think it is worth the hassle of sending it back. I have a three year extended warranty that I can fall back on in 2.5 years. :) Fuji did not send an extra lens cap, nor did I expect them to. Other than the miniscule speck of dust, I am happy with the entire process.

Okay, there's a new chapter to this story:

My X10 went through the same processing as others in this thread, and I received my package from the Edison facility today. Having kept my expectations in check, I was mildly surprised but not really disappointed when I opened the box and found my original camera - not a brand new one. The repair ticket indicated they had replaced the "lens const" (second word illegible) and installed a new sensor. So from this I take away that the sensor may indeed be replaced, and I was one of the lucky ones who got the repair vs. the replacement.

I'll test it, of course. Trickiest part for me will be retaining the documentation of the sensor replacement in case I ever choose to sell it. Paperwork is not my strong suit...

Glad to have it back!

And the rest of the story:

I just talked to the repair manager to find out what had been done, and he said they replaced the lens assembly and the sensor. He went on to ask whether I had received an email from the repair center in March or April; if I had, I would have been given a new camera instead! I hadn't registered the camera (bought used) and they apparently thought it was being sent in for some other reason unrelated to the recall.

Bottom line: if you haven't sent yours in yet, make sure you tell them it's for the sensor blooming issue. If you got the email inviting you to send it in, they theoretically already have a new camera with your name on it. Go for it! As for me, I'm just happy to have it back; no crying over spilled milk. (Well...maybe just a little... :) )

I spoke with a tech and one possible idea is that Fuji felt that your camera was not in "new" condition. The tech did tell me that they would only replace my camera if it appeared to be in new condition with no obvious damage. The tech did tell me that they have both new cameras and replacement sensor/lens assemblies. Did your camera have any dings?

Mine was only there for a day and I've received an email saying that it's on its way back. It doesn't say if it has been repaired or what...but it's heading home to mamma! Kind of amazing as they only picked it up yesterday.

The most important thing is that everyone who has done this comes away with a camera that works better than it did before. Right, Chuck? And Daniel...now you've planted the dust seed in my brain:eek: - I don't think I would ever notice unless I saw something on my pictures. I hope this new dust spec is a complete non issue for you.

No, it was spotless. Still looks like brand new.

The other thing that happened was that my camera first got routed to the X100 shop, so right away it fell off the track. I'm just glad they found it, repaired it, and sent it back.

Mine was only there for a day and I've received an email saying that it's on its way back. It doesn't say if it has been repaired or what...but it's heading home to mamma! Kind of amazing as they only picked it up yesterday.

The most important thing is that everyone who has done this comes away with a camera that works better than it did before. Right, Chuck? And Daniel...now you've planted the dust seed in my brain:eek: - I don't think I would ever notice unless I saw something on my pictures. I hope this new dust spec is a complete non issue for you.

Truth be told, I never had any issues with it, but I figured I'd better take advantage of the recall. But now that it's been repaired rather than replaced, I feel a need to test-drive it. Late next month I'll be in an amusement area after dark, so lots of lights to contend with. That will be the acid test; I'll likely to be shooting with two cameras (XZ1 is backup) to hedge my bets.

I spoke with a tech and one possible idea is that Fuji felt that your camera was not in "new" condition. The tech did tell me that they would only replace my camera if it appeared to be in new condition with no obvious damage. The tech did tell me that they have both new cameras and replacement sensor/lens assemblies. Did your camera have any dings?

I remember that there was a check box on the form from the e-mail that said something like: "Based on availability of parts, I will allow Fujifilm to send me a replacement camera". Maybe that checkbox was sort of a waiver for them to send a new one out.

Well, my package is getting delivered to my girlfriend's house today. I'll have her check the serial to see if it's a new one.

Mine arrived - and it's a new one...with a serial number beginning with 21. A new beauty and I'm looking forward to many years together. Thank you to all the people who had the wherewithal to bring the "blooming/orb" issue up and to Fuji for doing the right thing.:flowers_2::th_salute:

And thanks so much to everyone here for encouraging me to get off my you know what and send my camera in! Now the two X siblings are reunited!

Bleh... my girlfriend said I got the same camera back. She said somewhere on the repair details, they listed "lcd protector". I guess they didn't give me a new camera because I left it on.

Bleh... my girlfriend said I got the same camera back. She said somewhere on the repair details, they listed "lcd protector". I guess they didn't give me a new camera because I left it on.

Interesting! I had left my GGS protector on as well. Ironically, I had installed it only a couple weeks before I sent it away. Doesn't sound like a reason to repair vs. replace, but it's a fascinating coincidence.

Here's a funny one. Someone on another site reports getting a new X10 from NJ in the box with all the cables, strap, etc., just like from the store. This is just getting kind of weird.

I think someone at Fujifilm did the math and figured out the repair center would be backed up for weeks if they had to do the lens/sensor swap on every camera that came in. And all those hours would be non-billable. Better to keep the repair staff busy with out-of-warranty stuff and at the same time rebuild the goodwill of an important segment of their client base. Believe they're doing it right. I'm happy my camera was repaired so promptly; would have been happier to receive a new one, but I never expected that so no big deal.

I had an lcd protector on mine as well as I didn't see any reason to take it off before it went in. I got a new camera, so that's not the difference.

Interesting! I had left my GGS protector on as well. Ironically, I had installed it only a couple weeks before I sent it away. Doesn't sound like a reason to repair vs. replace, but it's a fascinating coincidence.

Did you have a stick on one drd? I also had a GGS (thick glass), lol.

Yes, I had a GGS stick on one, which is now property of the Fujifilm. On an unrelated note, I also lost part of my X10 hood. It screwed off in two pieces (the filer part and the hood part) and I lost the filter part. Still looking.

I haven't seen the camera yet (I will today), but I read something a little bit re-assuring on dpreview.

Someone received his original camera back, but the camera didn't look good-- random parts not perfectly aligned. He sent it back (maybe more than once if I can recall?) and they finally gave him a new one.

But, hopefully mine looks perfect, like when I sent it in.

Got it back. It was in good condition, minus a few corners of the leather sticking up. Went right back down after pressing on it.

BUT WHERE IS MY LENS CAP? I specifically asked if I should send it back with my lens cap and they said "sure". Guess I have to call them for it.

Wow, I'm pretty pissed. There's a good 4-5 dust particles inside the lens element. Also, not sure if I just didn't notice this before, but when I point the camera at a high angle then lens barrel gets stuck. --Would someone please test that out for me? Leave the camera flat on a table and try twist the lens and turn the camera on? I think I remember doing this before.

Going to give them a call tomorrow...

Update from call: Fuji seems to be extra responsive in anything regards to the X10. I explained my issues and he apologized and said he will be mailing a prepaid shipping label. He confirmed the lens barrel locking when pointed upwards is and issue, and it sounded like he's heard of it before. I would have to ship my camera back and they will either fix it or replace it.

See, this is why I'm still reluctant to buy an X10 - even though I really like the camera. The price is now $549 almost everywhere and I have a $150 Best Buy gift card, which means I'd get the camera for $399. But I have no way of knowing if the camera I buy has the new sensor or not. Even B&H hasn't been able to confirm this for us. I really don't want to have to send a brand-new camera out for repair and experience issues like winx has above. And then, even as the sensors are being fixed, Sony brings out the RX100 with a one-inch sensor that is likely to show up in other cameras, like a Panasonic LX5 replacement and/or an Olympus XZ1 replacement. I feel bad for Fuji. A fantastic little camera with some issues that they are finally straightening out just in time for no one to care.

I'd suggest that if you want to buy an X10 that you contact Fuji - heck you live in New Jersey so it's probably a local call. Seriously, they should be the ones to answer your questions. You can also contact them by email.

As for no one caring about the issues being straightened out you're wrong there I assure you - and there are plenty of us who are extremely happy about it and countless others who probably never noticed that there was anything at all wrong with their cameras. There are always going to be new cameras, larger and better sensors and all the rest so there's always going to be the new kid on the block. Of course we have quite a few members here who hold on to their old cameras for a long time...including their film cameras. I still have my OM-1. But back to your decision making - I think you have to go with which camera suits your needs and wants...which I know is easy to say and not always so easy to figure out...that's why so many people suffer from bouts of G.A.S., I think.

winx14, that's unfortunate to say the least and I hope you'll get back to us with Fuji's response. Did you see the dust particles when you looked dow into the lens?

Fuji's response was a good one. They pretty much said they'll take care of it, with no additional cost to me since they are providing the shipping label.

I'm pretty satisfied with Fuji's customer service for the X10. They are understanding and I feel like I'm talking to the same group of people each time.

As for the dust, I saw one and I was using my lenspen because I thought it was on the surface. It was still visible so I took a flashlight and shined it into the lens. Discovered a bunch of other ones like that, lol.

Back