Fuji X-10 Sensor exchange - in the USA

BBW

Legend
Name
BB
I just received an email notification regarding sending back the camera from the Edison, NJ group.

This is in part what the email said:
At this time, if you are happy with the results your X10 is providing, there is no need for any further action on your part. We hope you continue to use and enjoy!

However, if you have already upgraded the firmware and are still experiencing the blooming effect, we are offering a free camera evaluation through September 30, 2012 subject to, and under the terms of the X10 Limited Product Warranty. Please follow these steps to send your camera in to us:

Upon our receipt, our service center will conduct an evaluation of your camera. If our evaluation determines that your particular camera’s blooming effect could be improved with the new sensor, then to address any continued concern, we will replace your sensor and ship the upgraded camera back to you at no cost to you. This offer applies only to X10 cameras purchased in the US, where the camera is received at our service center in good working condition by September 30, 2012, where no abuse to the camera has occurred, etc.

Interesting that it says "free camera evaluation". No special shipping box for us over here on the other side of the pond, we have to pack it up and ship it ourselves.

I'm not so sure I'm going to bother. I've only noticed the "orbs" once or twice.... Just not sure what to do. I supposed I should sent it off for its evaluation.

BB, thanks for this. I never registered the camera, so I better contact them to see what the protocol will be for non-registered owners. I'm inclined to send it in, if only to preserve the resale value.

Could you provide an e-mail address and/or phone number for the repair facility?

Thanks!

If it ain't broke.... Unless you plan to start shooting in urban areas at night (seems like its becoming LESS likely, not more), orbs are a really minimal issue or none at all. As I've said before, i had one or two cases of pretty bad orbs in daylight situations and a few other cases where they're clearly present but you have to look for them and nobody would ever notice them in normal viewing. I like shooting in urban areas at night a LOT and ultimately sold the X10 because I couldn't use it in those situations so it couldn't really serve as the all-in-one camera I'd hoped. But if its not an issue for you, not much to be gained. OTOH, if you think you might sell the X10 someday, being able to verify that it has the improved sensor might be important. It would be important to me if I were to try to buy a used one at some point. So, probably not a bad idea to send it in, unless you're pretty sure you're gonna own this camera until it has no resale value anyway and just run it into the grounds. In which case, there's not much reason to bother...

-Ray

Here it the telephone number for the Fujifilm facility in Edison, NJ 1-800-659-3854.

Chuck, I called them as soon as I heard about the option to do this a number of months ago. They took my name and email address and that's how I got the email.

I see your points, Ray, but I also see the value in sending it in. I'll see how motivated I become. It's probably better to send it in for "evaluation"...and then I'll get back to my true love the X100 which I've been neglecting of late.

If I do send it back, I'll be sure to report in when it's returned to me. Though with all that's going on, I may end up just enjoying it as is.

Looks like Fuji USA is starting to back up.

Fedex surprised me with a delivery two days earlier than expected. I called Fuji to confirm if they had my camera and I was told that it could take up to 5 business days to process the camera before it was in their system. At least I have the name of the Fuji employee who signed for the camera. I won't have to worry if Fuji has my camera. Impatiently waiting! :)

Fuji acknowledged receipt of my camera today and it is in "process".

Just mailed mine this afternoon - the longest day of the year, the first day of summer and thus far the hottest day of the summer here in the NY metro area. They'll get it Monday.

So that's why mine was stuck in "Electronic Shipping Info Received" and "Sorting Complete" for noticeably longer than usual. I was trying to think of what holiday is coming up and didn't think about the heat.

Well, I don't know if it's the heat but it is super hot and that can throw a wrench into some things...like public transportation and overheated car/truck radiators.
angel_not.gif

:D Yup. I sent it insured with tracking with tons of newspapers crumpled up around its original box...in a much bigger box. I sent it parcel post since I figured no one is going to be there on Saturday. I am looking forward to its return and am glad I sent it because if I were shooting the water and got a bad orbish glint or two back, I'd be disappointed for sure.

My serial number began with 14. I should have noted it but didn't.

This thread has been helpful in an unanticipated way. I saw that Daniel was checking status online do I gave it a try - and it didn't work! Said my Zipcode didn't match. So I called them, and, sure enough, the number was off by one digit. Heaven knows where it would have ended up if I hadn't called. So I checked again, and it now says "In process", which means...? At least I can check now.

This thread has been helpful in an unanticipated way. I saw that Daniel was checking status online do I gave it a try - and it didn't work! Said my Zipcode didn't match. So I called them, and, sure enough, the number was off by one digit. Heaven knows where it would have ended up if I hadn't called. So I checked again, and it now says "In process", which means...? At least I can check now.

Funny how things work out like this.

Back