Fuji X-100, X-10, X-Pro rumors/updates

Ray Sachs

Legend
Name
you should be able to figure it out...
I just got off the phone with a guy from Fuji's repair center. I was calling to inquire about whether the X-10's in the shops have the new sensors, but the guy was very forthcoming and helpful, so here's what I have on the best authority I'd expect to get:

X-10 - he insists the new sensors are not in the stores yet, despite various rumors to the contrary. He said the first new units should be in the stores sometime in late August or early September. At which point I suggested I should probably just wait until Photokina and see what's coming. He said there would be nothing announced at Photokina related to the X10 - there may be an update next year, but that's probably late 2013, so if you want an X10, get one now and get it fixed, wait until September and get one that shouldn't need to get fixed, or hold on for another year and see if the new one has a bigger sensor? He indicated he had no idea if next year's model would have a larger sensor or what they'd do to it - "they don't tell us any of that until its pretty close"... But he seemed pretty confident that its about a year off...

X-100 - When he indicated there would be nothing at Photokina about the X-10 ("there won't be an X-20 or anything like that"), he said any announcement would relate to the X-100. I said, "you mean something like an X-200?" and he replied, "yeah, probably something along those lines". So it might be a good time to wait on buying an X-100. The new one, whatever it is, might be really enticing and, if not, the current model should come down even further in price.

X-Pro - He indicated the new lenses should be available in another month or so. He fully expects the 14mm will work with the OVF although the framelines will probably come very close to filling the available space. He also indicated that the zoom will only work with the EVF. As I'd suspected, there's just no mechanism in that OVF to be able to zoom and move the frame-lines and keep track of everything. That will also be true of the 10-24 UWA zoom scheduled for next year and I'm sure whatever other zoom lenses are on the roadmap down the line. None of this is a surprise to me, but is a useful level of confirmation of what I'd expected would be the case. Which may or may not change my plans about getting the UWA when it becomes available next year... I'll have to see - I'm not crazy about the EVF in the X-Pro. So maybe I'll double down on m43 as the "system", finally break down and get the 7-14, and just assume the X-Pro is gonna be my "other", "change of pace", "niche" camera.

Anyway, I'm sure none of this is guaranteed, but its the best information I've yet heard on the fates of these three cameras / systems...

-Ray

Thanks for the rumors/updates!
I'm happy to hear there'll probably an X200, it would be a shame if the X100 was a one-time thing and they would simply continue with a 23mm lens for the X-Pro system.

Thanks Ray, that's pretty much what I would expect, and what has been rumored on some websites in the past few days. I'm very curious about that X200, but I don't expect my X100 to retire soon.

JUST bought my x100 first morning of the price drop, loving it, but ill still want the x200
must remember to accidently delete my PHOTOGRAPHY bookmark folder just before photokina...!
RESIST!!! haha

Thanks Ray. It's interesting that the Fuji rep in Best Buy thought the X10s in stores all had the new sensor. But that doesn't mean she was right. The guy you talked to sounds like he knew what he was talking about.

Re: X100. Your logic mirrors my thinking. There's $200 off the camera now. But if an X200 comes out at the original $1200 price, it might be more desirable. If it's not, the X100 price is likely to drop when the new camera comes out anyway. If no new camera is announced, I'll bet the X100 sale price this Christmas season will be even better than the $999 sale price now.

Thanks Ray. It's interesting that the Fuji rep in Best Buy thought the X10s in stores all had the new sensor. But that doesn't mean she was right. The guy you talked to sounds like he knew what he was talking about.
There's no percentage in a sales person telling you he or she doesn't know whether they're selling the new fixed models or the older, flawed one. As far as they probably have been told, they have the newest ones available. Which was probably even true. Just not helpful...

-Ray

Huh, interesting, so no mention of the rumored new X bodies, the entry model and pro spec?

Maybe the entry model is the fixed lens X body, not a lesser X-Pro?

I am interested in an updated X100. Nothing wrong with the current, of course :), but just thinking of the latest 16mpx sensor (assume X100 style AA filter for cost savings/product differentiation, which is fine with me), some performance/speed improvements, etc.

While it's possible the X200 may be an X100 with a different fixed focal length, I suspect it may be an X100 with most of the requested improvements that firmware fixes can't provide. Which would be fine with me.

While it's possible the X200 may be an X100 with a different fixed focal length, I suspect it may be an X100 with most of the requested improvements that firmware fixes can't provide. Which would be fine with me.

That's my guess. I don't think they'd have released that 28mm adapter if they weren't gonna have a camera for it after a few months. I dont see a different focal length. Maybe the X-Pro sensor, faster lens? Maybe the Q menu, decent ISO menu? Should be interesting.

-Ray

Huh, interesting, so no mention of the rumored new X bodies, the entry model and pro spec?

Maybe the entry model is the fixed lens X body, not a lesser X-Pro?

I am interested in an updated X100. Nothing wrong with the current, of course :), but just thinking of the latest 16mpx sensor (assume X100 style AA filter for cost savings/product differentiation, which is fine with me), some performance/speed improvements, etc.
I didn't ask about new bodies. They're probably a little further out than the stuff he knew about. I'd guess if the zooms won't work with the OVF, we're likely to see an EVF-only body, hopefully with a better EVF...

-Ray

Back