Fuji X-E1 and face detection?

RSHPhotography

The catalog/brochure for the X-E1 says, on the specs page, that the X-E1 has face detection. But there's no face detection in any of the menus as far as I can determine, and the instruction book makes no mention of face detection. Is the catalog/brochure wrong, or where would I find it in the menu?

If the X-E1 is the same as the X100S it will detect faces in image playback of ohotos you have already taken, but not during actual shooting the way the X-T1 does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the brochure, face detection is listed right after exposure compensation and right before shutter control, and long before any mention of Playback functions. That obviously led me to expect it to be a shooting function.

IIRC, the brochure listed fast and accurate auto-focus and AFC as well. Clearly those didn't make it to production models either.

IIRC, the brochure listed fast and accurate auto-focus and AFC as well. Clearly those didn't make it to production models either.

I've just started using my X-E1 and I'd have to disagree with you about auto-focus. I did a shoot under very low light conditions and found the auto-focus was both fast and accurate. I haven't had a chance to use the AFC yet. Overall I'm very happy with this camera, just a little disappointed that it doesn't have face detection as advertised and as was available on the X-10 I used previously.

By the way, in the low light photography with shutter speed down to 1/6, I found the Fuji OIS worked better than other vibration reduction systems I've used.

I've just started using my X-E1 and I'd have to disagree with you about auto-focus. I did a shoot under very low light conditions and found the auto-focus was both fast and accurate. I haven't had a chance to use the AFC yet. Overall I'm very happy with this camera, just a little disappointed that it doesn't have face detection as advertised and as was available on the X-10 I used previously.

By the way, in the low light photography with shutter speed down to 1/6, I found the Fuji OIS worked better than other vibration reduction systems I've used.

I guess focus speed and accuracy is relative. I keep a spreadsheet for each shoot.

Using my XE1, I'm getting about 85 percent sharp shots for static subjects in AFS, single spot. For action I get mid 30's using AFC and high 60's using AFS. With Oly M43's I get mid 90's for AFS (not enough data for AFC yet). Even with a cheapo D3000, I'm getting in the very high 90's, 98 or 99% in either AFS or AFC. The Oly's are fast enough in AFS that I don't even feel the need for AFC, where as the D3000 is only slightly faster than the XE1 for single shot, but its AFC mode obliterates the XE1.

I guess focus speed and accuracy is relative. I keep a spreadsheet for each shoot.

Using my XE1, I'm getting about 85 percent sharp shots for static subjects in AFS, single spot. For action I get mid 30's using AFC and high 60's using AFS. With Oly M43's I get mid 90's for AFS (not enough data for AFC yet). Even with a cheapo D3000, I'm getting in the very high 90's, 98 or 99% in either AFS or AFC. The Oly's are fast enough in AFS that I don't even feel the need for AFC, where as the D3000 is only slightly faster than the XE1 for single shot, but its AFC mode obliterates the XE1.

Certainly perception of focus speed and accuracy is relative. I have no doubt that the X-E1 doesn't focus as quickly as my Nikon D7000 but for my purposes (I don't shoot action) the difference is not a problem. So far, I've found the X-E1 focus to be very accurate and, as I said, I've done some low light shooting. I'm still new with the Fuji camera, so maybe I'll notice more difference as I shoot more. But so far, I'm very satisfied with the focusing and super satisfied with the image quality.

Back