Fuji X-E1 and Flash Sync Speed (vs later X cameras)

scott

Rookie
I have two X-E1s, and have noted that they behave oddly with flash compared to my non-Fuji cameras. I mostly shoot in aperture-priority mode. When I use a flash on most other cameras, the shutter speed automatically jumps up to the maximum flash-sync speed. With the X-E1s, though, the shutter speed stays at whatever the meter sets, the same as for a non-flash exposure. Especially in dim light, this can cause some problems.

Of course, I can always go into manual mode and set the shutter speed, but this seems kludgy for a camera this good. It'd be nice if the metering was working for me.

Is this just standard for X-E1s, or is there a way around it? And do the later models do the same thing?

I don't think the XT1 does anything different when you attach a flash except perhaps to keep the shutter speed at/below the max sync speed, if you've left shutter speed on Auto. It certainly doesn't suddenly set itself to 1/180, nor would I want it to, I don't think...

Thanks, Kyle. That's interesting -- my Sony SLTs (that I use for macro and telephoto pictures that there aren't Fuji lenses for yet...) definitely set the shutter speed to the max sync speed when you switch on a flash while in aperture-priority mode. I'm pretty sure the m4/3 cameras I used to use did the same thing. Just something different to get used to, I guess.

Back