X-E1 or O-MD? Selling gear to get one of these, am I mad?

I suppose what I wonder when I read these "which camera shall I get next?" threads is ... how does anyone (this is not specifically aimed at Andy) who has very a frequent churn of cameras ever get to learn how their camera works? ... I don't mean the menus, of course, but how the sensor responds, how the DR changes with the ISO, how the different metering modes work best in different sorts of lighting, and so on ... in the service of producing the sorts of images that you want ... without such familiarity don't they all sort of merge and become rather expensive (if rather glorious) point'n'shoots?

Perhaps it's easier to be satisfied with one's gear when one is satisfied with one's photos. I fully understand that practice will make me better faster than switching gear, but one is MUCH easier to do than the other.

In defense of the churners, by being exposed to different UI's and setting up different cameras, I am actually learning about how cameras work a little better than reading a book (YMMV). Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

It's a bit like the town drunk who knows his drinking is killing him, but he loves to drink. At least the rotating of gear isn't killing anyone (as long as it is within their means).

I'll try to keep pdh and Gary's posts in mind next time I plan on switching out some gear.

My point is that one can reach a level of hardware automation/familiarity which will significantly improve your photography. In this age of the grass is greener, a person may never realize that through hands-on methodology. I'm struggling with the OM-D not easily and quickly delivering the image I previsualized ... but I am getting closer and quicker with my final image being what I first desired.

Gary

PS- I dunno how high on the photographic skill learning curve one gets by fiddling around at the rudimentary level of numerous UI's ... when all that re-learning time could be spent on the advancement and honing of one's personal photographic skills and experiences. For me, getting a tiny bit more dynamic range is not more significant than the ability to consistently capture an image as you see it in your mind's eye prior to releasing the shutter? But we're all different and for many of us new, better, feel-good equipment is more important than consistency, and that's okay. (I draw the line at looks, I like a sexy camera, svelte and bold ... oh-my).
G

PPS- For me it takes quite a while to become one with the camera and that's with shooting nearly everyday.
G

I'm struggling with the OM-D not easily and quickly delivering the image I previsualized ... but I am getting closer and quicker with my final image being what I first desired.

Hi Gary,

I'd be interested in hearing more of your thoughts on this. Where are your struggles? Is it managing/operating the OMD is distracting to you? Is it that the shot looks nothing like what you saw in the EVF (i.e. maybe the EVF isn't representing the color, contrast or brightness correctly)? Is it that in post-production, you can't manipulate the image to your liking? Would love to hear a bit more.

For me, the E-M5 was a camera that felt absolutely right from the first moment that I picked it up from the camera store, sat on a bench outside in the Mall at night, pulled it out of the box, clicked on the PL25/1.4, turned it on and started shooting. I really don't see anything else that matches it for versatility and completeness as a package. Funnily enough though I find that it's design can work against it because as soon as I turn the camera on I have the screen flipped out, the camera held at my waist, and my thumb ready on the shutter button or touchscreen. Even though it offers the option to shoot it in a traditional manner I find the former method far too tempting. Peversely, I like the idea of the Fuji for the fact that it is more limiting in how you can shoot with it.

I have gotten so comfortable with the E-p2, (now my only camera), that the only adjustment that I need to use for most shots, is the exposure comp, and focus. It's very intuitive. Now, I'd like to move up to a better sensor, but don't want to relearn the natural familiarity. I also mostly use only one lens, the Sigma 30 mm. Makes getting totally comfortable with the operation of the combination much easier.

For me the differences are no so much the menu interfaces as the mechanical and in the hand interface. I much prefer having the shutter dial on top, exp comp dial next to the shutter release, the aperture control dial on the lens on the XPro1 as opposed to the twin unmarked top dials on the OMD, I like the on off switch on the Fuji more than the one on the back of the OMD. I like that all of the Fuji lenses come with shades and shade caps even though the caps do not work well, I like the separate card door on the OMD but do not like that the eyecups come off every time I put the bodies in the bag. I love the IBIS in the OMD but prefer the af accuracy of the Fuji. I do not like the auto detect on the viewfinder of the OMD and anytime I am given a choice I would choose to use an OVF over an EVF. At this point the OMD is ahead in long lenses and will probably stay ahead, but the middle stuff I prefer the Fuji lenses and in the wides, Fuji is at least pulling even if not going ahead. At the end of the day the more comfortable you get with any camera the better your results will be, but I am happy to have bought both of these camera system and am open to whatever new intriguing camera system that comes along. One never knows what you like best until you try it, a new camera may not make one a better shooter but finding one that inspires you to use it certainly does.

I suppose what I wonder when I read these "which camera shall I get next?" threads is ... how does anyone (this is not specifically aimed at Andy) who has very a frequent churn of cameras ever get to learn how their camera works? ... I don't mean the menus, of course, but how the sensor responds, how the DR changes with the ISO, how the different metering modes work best in different sorts of lighting, and so on ... in the service of producing the sorts of images that you want ... without such familiarity don't they all sort of merge and become rather expensive (if rather glorious) point'n'shoots?

I actually feel that this is the easy bit; to acquaint what a camera shows on its screen with what you will get as a final, processed image. Switching frequently from one set of controls/menus to another presents more of a problem IMO.

P.S. Isn't every camera a point and shoot?

not for me. Once a camera is set up how I want the menus and whatnot might as well not be there. So long as I can change ISO and aperture easily. Then it took me about 18 months to learn how to take the photos I wanted with it
Luckypenguin said:
P.S. Isn't every camera a point and shoot?

but you know what I mean I think

I'm not well placed to answer since I enjoy all systems for different reasons. The primary thing that I'm missing is peak focus on m43, I also miss that on FF BTW, I've tried with the rather cheap and very good d600 for using lenses such as zeiss 35/1.4 and 85/1.4 on it but the manual focus is really hard to get a good keeper rate, so I use Nex5n for those purposes right now.

So practicaly speaking I would rather have 3 cam system, a FF, a m43 and a good compact such as rx100 but the FF isn't quite there yet, again, as I've said in another thread maybe the a99 will be a good choice for focusing these huge manual focus lenses. The steps from m43 to FF feels more logical to me than from m43 to APS-C. The quality difference between m43 and APS-C isn't that high anymore. Of course budget is a huge concern in such a setup !!!

But if I were looking for a unique system, the Fuji or Nex would suit me better, but the Fuji still has no focus peaking so it is a no go right now, Nex serves me better in that respect. RX1 is still a clue for now, like most, waiting for real hands on reports of both rx1 and a99.

Back