Fuji X-E1 vs E-M5

Thanks for the comparison. It is largely along the lines of what I thought might be the case, and it is good to have confirmation of that. For my usage I couldn't see something like the X-E1 replacing an E-M5, but they do look like a great pair of cameras to shoot with together or alternate between.

+1

Are you tempted by the X-E1, Gary? :)

I had a real bad itch when I wasn't sure about the OM-D. But now that I've settled on the OM-D and now that I've been fleshing out my system with some damn nice lenses that itch has subsided (somewhat). Don't get me wrong, I've love to have a X-E1, in fact I'd love to get my chubby hands around every camera ever made. I'd love to play with cameras everyday for the rest of my life ... but now that I've settle on the OM-D/µ4/3 as my camera of choice ... I am less compelled to slam on my brakes every time I pass a camera store, rush in and fondle every body in the place. (My twitch is gone ... but I can never go back to Camera World again.)

It was during this unstable period, before I settled, when I realize that for me, the slight differences in IQ between cameras wasn't all that important. The difference in dynamic range between a Nikon FF, a Leica, a Fuji, an Olympus won't significantly improve or diminish the impact of my images. I still shoot with a news-esque eye, I like people over architectural, action over landscape, handheld over pods. I realized that I need a fast handling camera that can consistently capture the fleeting look in an eye over a camera which can deliver a wide dynamic rande with 28 zones but I end up with a back of a head.

My style is to snatch impact from capturing 'the decisive moment' not from capturing a mesmerizing cornucopia of color range with details in the highlights and shadows.

One day, after I get real cozy with the OM-D and µ4/3, when I can grab my camera and dial in the setting, toss on a lens to get the shot I want, more as a reflex than a conscience thought process ... then ... maybe I'll pick up a camera that is more IQ oriented than Handling/Speed oriented.

I appreciated what PDH stated as his conclusions, (similar to what I discovered).

Gary

Could somebody please post a similar OOC portrait shot with both camera's with eg 35/1.4 lens on the xe1 and 25/1.4 on the em5?

Really would like to compare these

I had a real bad itch when I wasn't sure about the OM-D. But now that I've settled on the OM-D and now that I've been fleshing out my system with some damn nice lenses that itch has subsided (somewhat). Don't get me wrong, I've love to have a X-E1, in fact I'd love to get my chubby hands around every camera ever made. I'd love to play with cameras everyday for the rest of my life ... but now that I've settle on the OM-D/µ4/3 as my camera of choice ... I am less compelled to slam on my brakes every time I pass a camera store, rush in and fondle every body in the place. (My twitch is gone ... but I can never go back to Camera World again.)

It was during this unstable period, before I settled, when I realize that for me, the slight differences in IQ between cameras wasn't all that important. The difference in dynamic range between a Nikon FF, a Leica, a Fuji, an Olympus won't significantly improve or diminish the impact of my images. I still shoot with a news-esque eye, I like people over architectural, action over landscape, handheld over pods. I realized that I need a fast handling camera that can consistently capture the fleeting look in an eye over a camera which can deliver a wide dynamic rande with 28 zones but I end up with a back of a head.

My style is to snatch impact from capturing 'the decisive moment' not from capturing a mesmerizing cornucopia of color range with details in the highlights and shadows.

One day, after I get real cozy with the OM-D and µ4/3, when I can grab my camera and dial in the setting, toss on a lens to get the shot I want, more as a reflex than a conscience thought process ... then ... maybe I'll pick up a camera that is more IQ oriented than Handling/Speed oriented.

I appreciated what PDH stated as his conclusions, (similar to what I discovered).

Gary

Gary, from my perspective this may be the best E-M5 vs X-E1 blurb that I've read; especially what I bolded. More importantly, I think it is going to cure my X-E1 lust, which I didn't really think was possible. I owe you one brother! If you are ever central PA (like if you get kidnapped, brought here, then escape) let me know -- I'm buying.

Gary, from my perspective this may be the best E-M5 vs X-E1 blurb that I've read; especially what I bolded. More importantly, I think it is going to cure my X-E1 lust, which I didn't really think was possible. I owe you one brother! If you are ever central PA (like if you get kidnapped, brought here, then escape) let me know -- I'm buying.

Makes sense. As per the highlighted bits of Gary's' post, I usually start with what and how I shoot. A camera (and the available lenses) can be great on paper, with all sorts of advantages, bit if it is not good for what you need, then I say stay away. my final test is how I 'feel' about I camera. The interface and how I connect with it are critical.

Anyway, get your camera and then shoot away...

Makes sense. As per the highlighted bits of Gary's' post, I usually start with what and how I shoot. A camera (and the available lenses) can be great on paper, with all sorts of advantages, bit if it is not good for what you need, then I say stay away. my final test is how I 'feel' about I camera. The interface and how I connect with it are critical.

It sure seemed obvious when I read Gary's post. Not smart enough for those basic conclusions myself!

LOL, I guess there isn't much in Central PA (haven't been there.) So conversely, if you ever make it to Southern Cal, we'll flip for the first round.

G

For me it's sorta like buying a car ... all the chrome, horsepower and new taillights are what grabs me first ... slowly I remember about the kids and dogs, room for groceries and an equipment bag full bats and balls. You are much more disciplined than I. (You're getting the second round for being better than both demiro and I.)

G

For me it's sorta like buying a car ... all the chrome, horsepower and new taillights ar what grabs me first ... slowly I remember about the kids and dogs, room for groceries and an equipment full bats and balls. You are much more disciplined than I. (You're getting the second round for being better than both demiro and I.)

G

Well, confession time. My extensive camera sales a few years back on eBay, and plenty of weight on some credit cards, are proof that it took me a long time to get this thing the right way around. Even so, I still see an amazing chunk of gear and feel the threat to my credit rating...

But I'm still happy to get the beers:D

Back