Fuji X-E1 vs X-E2 now?

Hi,

I am looking for a smart (aka cheap) way to see if I like the Fuji system. Now you can get used X-E1 and sometimes E2 quite good prices. Is there a lot between these cameras, I know AF was an issue on XE1 but latest firmwares may have caught up with that?
I will have it for travel, hopefully with a 35/1.4 or similar.

Thanks.

So...

Here's the thing. I used an X-E1 for about 18 months; it was my entry into the interchangeable X-System (my intro to the X-Series overall was the X-10). The X-E1 was a good camera. AF was never "an issue" but it did get tweaked over the months - like the X-Pro1 the X-E1 was a different camera at the end of it's life than at the beginning.

However. It is now a bit long in the tooth and it's hard to tell the life a Fuji has led, because they wear well externally. If I was in the market to start today, and to do so on a budget, I would spend the extra 50 quid or so on an X-E2; the firmware for that has effectively made it an X-E2s so it offers real value.

A third option, of course, would be to pick up an X-Pro1 - they are probably never going to be cheaper than they are right now...

So...

Here's the thing. I used an X-E1 for about 18 months; it was my entry into the interchangeable X-System (my intro to the X-Series overall was the X-10). The X-E1 was a good camera. AF was never "an issue" but it did get tweaked over the months - like the X-Pro1 the X-E1 was a different camera at the end of it's life than at the beginning.

However. It is now a bit long in the tooth and it's hard to tell the life a Fuji has led, because they wear well externally. If I was in the market to start today, and to do so on a budget, I would spend the extra 50 quid or so on an X-E2; the firmware for that has effectively made it an X-E2s so it offers real value.

A third option, of course, would be to pick up an X-Pro1 - they are probably never going to be cheaper than they are right now...

Thank you Bill. Helpful as always with my many questions about Fuji. It may be just GAS, but I dont think it will blow over until I try a Fuji.. Anyway, so you would recommend a X-pro1 over X-E2?

As always, the answer is "it depends". In this case it depends whether or not the OVF of the X-Pro is important to you. The EVF is the same generation as the X-E1 so that's a wash. The X-Pro is a bit better built, but is also a bit heavier and larger. The X-E1 has a built-in flash. I started with an X-E1 then moved to an X-Pro1 so you know what's important to me ;)

If you're very patient as a shooter, then either the Pro1 or the XE1 will do fine, and you'd save a little bit of $, but not much. If you're ever going to want a snappier response rate (focus, shutter, refresh rate in EVF, etc), then the XE2 is ALMOST as good as the current best of Fujiland. So it depends on you.

If you're very patient as a shooter, then either the Pro1 or the XE1 will do fine, and you'd save a little bit of $, but not much. If you're ever going to want a snappier response rate (focus, shutter, refresh rate in EVF, etc), then the XE2 is ALMOST as good as the current best of Fujiland. So it depends on you.

I understand. I would get a X-E2 if I could find it used, but no one in Norway is selling one currently. A few X-Pro1, I think I´ll go there if I can make a deal now. Then I can either get rid of the GAS or sell my M43 gear :) Thanks.

I have both X-Pro1 and X-E2 having recently bought an E-2 to go with my X-T1.

Whilst the X-Pro1 is lovely to use and the images it produces have a certain something about them, the E2 is a far superior camera in terms of performance.

If you can find one/afford one then the X-E2 is definitely the one to go for.

I have the x-e1 and i do miss shots due to its lag. On a sunny day I miss far less. My sons do speed skating and hockey and the camera just does not perform well in an arena (not the best lighting and moving objects).
I do not regret my purchase since I bought a new kit with 18-55 lens for cheaper than the price of the lens. They basically gave me a free camera.
The x-e1 gives you great images when in ideal conditions but in some some conditions you will miss shots. It depends what you shoot.
I just stopped using the camera in those conditions. So I use the camera in the condition that suites it best and because if this I love the camera.

Sent from my iPhone using FujiXspot mobile app

There are crippling customs fees for stuff that crosses the Atlantic, sadly...

Yes, import is a no no. Just a little quick update, if anyones interested. I did finally join Fujiland and bought myself a marginally used X-Pro1 with the 18/F2 lens. The deal was just to sweet, 300 USD below a used X-E2 with the same lens. I will continue to use both my Panasonic GX8 and X-Pro1. The only downside I can think of is the lens, I wished it was the 35/1.4 instead, but in the used market, you take what you can get :)

Thanks for all the input and help I have received in here, I am sure I will post more :)

I went XE1 to XT1 to XE2 + XP1. I sold the XT1 due to the ergos once firmware 4 was available for the XE2.

I find the XE1 and XE2 are very different in speed of operation. When it matters, the XE2 by a wide margin. When I shot an XT1 and XE1 I used the XE1 for adapted only. The evf on the E2 is noticeably better. Operation in all respects is quicker. Low light focusing is much better.

My current use is the XP1 during the day (bright Florida and the ovf is wonderful). XE2 for night shooting (which I enjoy).

I never knew how bad the XE-1 low light auto focus was till last night. It was my daughter's birthday, so I tried taking some shots using auto on the XE-1 in indoor well lit conditions. I could not believe how bad the pictures came out. Sometimes the shots were not even focused and quite blurry. Compared to my LX100, that I also used, the difference was night and day in some situations.

Generally I keep my 23 1.4 on the XE-1 and use manual focus. Guess I will keep using Manual until I can afford to upgrade to the XE-2.

Back