Fuji X-E2 JPEG settings advice...

mack

Rookie
I'm headed to Disney for spring break and bought my wife the X-E2 and the 27mm for a point and shoot. Can you please help me help her with how to set the X-E2 for optimal jpeg performance? Thanks in advance.

There are no optimal JPEG settings. But since I understand that folks wand to know about how to use JPEG settings and what camera settings to use, I have included several pages of information about those in my upcoming X-E2 eBook.

Luckily, JPEG settings aren't important before you take the picture. You can apply and change them afterwards in the internal RAW converter. So shoot FINE+RAW with the camera's standard settings, then change whatever you want to change later. Try different things. Compare! Don't waste time at Disney worrying about JPEG settings.Have a good time and worry later, when you are at home and have time to review your results.

Rico,

Thank you. I look forward to reading your upcoming X-E2 book. One setting that I find confusing is the "DR" or Dynamic range setting. Is Auto sufficient?

Thanks again

Auto often does the job, but manual settings are more efficient if you know what setting to choose in a particular situation.

You can actually measure which setting to choose with your camera. There will be a section in my book that explains how to do this based on exposing on the highlights, followed by a counter-correction of the exposure compensation dial in order to expose on the shadows. By counting the number of dial clicks of the counter-correction, you can determine which DR setting to use (200 or 400).

Better to focus on stuff that can't be easily corrected later, like focus, framing and exposure. JPEG settings can be adjusted anytime with the internal RAW converter.

Back