Fuji X-E2 Now or Wait for X-T10?

Biro

Hall of Famer
Name
Steve
The X-E2 is on sale for $699 in the U.S., probably until the end of March. Meanwhile, the rumored X-T10 sounds very interesting indeed. I already have the X100T and I think my X-A1 may be going soon - a great little camera but I prefer a viewfinder. Still, I want a camera body to use with my Fuji 18, 27, 35 and 60mm primes. I'm fine with both the rangefinder and SLR form factors. Get the X-E2 on sale now or wait to see how the X-T10 turns out?

If you are truly rangefinder/SLR agnostic then personally I would go for the XE2 now. When the X-T10 becomes a reality then decide whether to keep it if budget allows, or trade it in. If you do the latter, any delta between what you paid and what you sell for is "rental". Plus, think of the shots you will miss if you wait...

The x-E2 is really a joy to use, which has a lot to do with the rangefinder style.
I would not even want to trade my X-E2 for an X-T1, although there are features I would really love to have (electronic shutter, direct AF-point selection, better AF,...).
So I'm pretty sure that I would not prefer a feature stripped X-T10 over the X-E2.

I do really hope that there will be an X-E3 in the future and not just three lines (X-Pro 2 with hybrid viewfinder - I prefer the EVF over the OVF, X-T1 and X-T10) as there are rumors that the X-E line could be stopped by Fuji...

I'd say it depends on they body format you like the most. Also, you generally want to wait a while for a camera to be on the market, so.. depends on if you can wait that long.

Thanks for all of the responses. I am agnostic on SLR vs. rangefinder form factor - I like both. I think what's really going on is that I paid $499 for my then-new X-E1 body (the one I shouldn't have sold). In my head, $699 for the X-E2 body is a bit high at this point. That's why I'm tempted to wait around the find out how the X-T10 turns out and how expensive it actually is. Of course, by then the X-E2 won't be discounted on sale. But it could also go on closeout before long if there's an X-E3 or even if the X-T10 is a big hit.

I do not expect a X-E3 in 2015.
I'm sure that there will be a X-T10 (stripped down X-T1) followed by a X-Pro 2 with new sensor by the end of the year. X-E3 (if the line won't be discontinued) and X-T2 with the same sensor as X-Pro 2 will follow in 2016.
But I'm sure Rico is much better informed regarding that - but do not bet on a X-E3 in 2015...

I'm not betting in an X-E3 in 2015 or 2016, or ever. After all, there's supposed to be an X-Pro2 as the camera that appeals to the "retro" crowd. Maybe there will be an X-E3 at some point after the X-Pro2 has been introduced? I wouldn't bet on it, though, because Fuji will sell only a few X-Pro2 bodies, anyway. It's a niche product, so Fuji might as well make their customers decide between an X-T2 and X-Pro2 w/o adding an X-E3 as a third option to the mix (which would cannibalize X-Pro2 sales). Retro DSLR design vs. retro Rangefinder design. Obviously, the X-T10 will occupy the "X-E3" slot in 2015.

I'm not betting in an X-E3 in 2015 or 2016, or ever. After all, there's supposed to be an X-Pro2 as the camera that appeals to the "retro" crowd. Maybe there will be an X-E3 at some point after the X-Pro2 has been introduced? I wouldn't bet on it, though, because Fuji will sell only a few X-Pro2 bodies, anyway. It's a niche product, so Fuji might as well make their customers decide between an X-T2 and X-Pro2 w/o adding an X-E3 as a third option to the mix (which would cannibalize X-Pro2 sales). Retro DSLR design vs. retro Rangefinder design. Obviously, the X-T10 will occupy the "X-E3" slot in 2015.

Although I do understand the ratio behind it, it would be really bad news for a lot of Fuji users.
There are plenty of Fuji photographers that favor the "fake rangefinder style" over the "fake SLR style" (me included).
As I assume that the X-E1/2 were more successful than the X-Pro 1, I wonder why there is a X-Pro 2 but no X-E3 (I do not believe that the same people that like the X-E2 do like the X-T10).

For me personally the X-E2's form factor is perfect. Not too small, not too large and the perfect position of the EVF.
I am not interested in an OVF, as I prefer today's EVFs with a WYSIWIG rendering of the scenes.
The old drawbacks of EVFs are mostly gone (no more laggy, usable in low-light) and they are getting better and better which each iteration.

If the X-Pro 2 would be the size and weight of the X-E2 and would have a good EVF though, I would buy it (if not too expensive), although I would rarely (if ever) use the OVF.

Why not an X-Pro1, especially since you have the 18 & 35mm? What would you miss? For the current going rates they're a steal.

This article is also an example of someone preferring the X-E2 over the X-T1 from a usability point of view - it seems to me that I am not the only one who would be disappointed by the halt of the X-Ex series:

http://mirrorlessminutes.com/fujixe2vsxt1/

When they discount the XE2 heavily one day, I really want to snap one up as a second body. I wish the ISO and Shutter dials didn't lock, and I like the EVF being at the left corner instead of centered, too. On the whole, I prefer the XT1 if I could only have one. But for a second body (shooting events, or loaning to the Mrs), and for a 27-pancake-tiny option, the XE2 would be so great.

I thought the locking button on the shutter speed dial of the XT1 can be disabled with a single press? No? Or does the user have to keep it pressed in order to be able to turn the dial?

Shutter dial is locked only on A. Once you press the button and turn, it rotates freely the rest of the way around. I wish the ISO did the same, but sadly it locks with every click.

Ok, so similar to the XP1 for the shutter dial. And yes, I think it's idiotic to have the lock on the ISO dial.

Fuji should implement a lock button similar to Olympus on the EM1. One click locks or unlocks the dial. User gets to choose whether to lock or not.

Back