Fuji X-E2/X-T1 functionality

Davoe

Regular
I understand the ergonomic advantages of the T-1, with the 2.00 firmware release, what remaining performance advantages does the T have over the E?

Fair to say that the ergonomic "advantages" are personal; I for one prefer the form factor of the X-E series. I have an X-T1 for long lens and macro work (and bad weather once the weathersealed lenses are released) but otherwise the X-E1 that I have is preferable for most applications due to its ergonomics.

I don't perceive any difference in performance. I don't know if the AF tracking for action is at the same level, but I never use that so I'm a poor judge anyway. Face detection seems similar to me, pretty decent but not up to Olympus. I'm personally very happy with the EVF of the XE2 unless I'm using it back to back with the XT1 (which I do sometimes) and then I'm VERY aware of the difference, which favors the XT1 by quite a bit. And I really like the flip up screen. But I prefer the EVF location on the XE2, so if I'm going out with one body and don't take an ultra-wide lens (which is when I usually us the flip up screen), I'm more apt to take the XE2... I also like being able to save ISO configurations in the custom settings on the XE2, which you can't do on the XT1...

-Ray

I prefer the X-E2 ergonomics (buttons, dials), too.
The X-T1 offers the better EVF UI, though.

As for performance, the differences aren't really big.

I'm also deciding between the two, mainly for travel and for pictures of my kids who rarely hold still. Is the continuous autofocus good enough for tracking kids?
Thanks

Rico, would the tracking capability of the xe2 be the same as the t1 with the updated refresh rate?
There seems to be a selection of "focus priority/release priority" that the e2 doesn't have.

Also, I prepurchased you rebook on amazon, any guess as to when the English version will be acpvailable?

Probably June or early July.

There's little difference regarding predictive PDAF. With the hidden AF-C bug removed, results should improve for those who reported issues with the X-E2.

There is a difference wrt CDAF tracking, but since everybody would use a PDAF frame, anyway, the relevance of tis is limited.

I've had really good success with tracking on the X-E2. It had a pretty high (though not perfect) hit rate even when shooting my son rushing towards me pushing a bin, while indoors using the 56/1.2 wide open. He was moving quite steadily at me in both these shots.

xander_bin1.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

xander_bin2.jpg

He was crawling towards me on this one:
xander_crawl_56.jpg

Back