Fuji X-H2 with Two Different Sensors.

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Name
Steve
Yes, it's been bandied about but according to Fuji Rumors it's true. Yes, I know it's a rumor site but they are often right.
It's not a bad idea as long as Fuji can make it commercially viable.

I would’ve liked to see Fuji make the X-H2 like the Canon/Nikon flagships with built in battery grip and a super long lasting battery.

My guess on two sensor offerings would be one with the current 26mp sensor, and one with the new 40mp sensor.

I wonder about other differences. Despite the view that video is a "free" feature, there are design parameters that make a mainly video cam different from a mainly stills camera. The video cam could be bigger to better dissipate heat and have the smaller sensor for faster readout. The stills version could be physically smaller with higher MP. We'll save discussions about the nature screen until we have a minyan. :)

Last edited:
I wonder about other differences. Despite the view that video is a "free" feature, there are design parameters that make a mainly video cam different from a mainly stills camera. The video cam could be bigger to better dissipate heat and have the smaller sensor for faster readout. The stills version could be physically smaller with higher MP. We'll save discussions about the nature screen until we have a minyan. :)

I think Nikon has debunked the need for a smaller sensor for faster readout as the Z9 is 45mp and FX size and a beast without a mechanical shutter!
Truth is we don't really know. My hope would be that both would be BSI stacked with a fast enough readout to eliminate/reduce rolling shutter.

Still makes little sense to me to have 2 XH2's though. Why not leave the sports/stills centric niche to the XT4 and the XH2 could either be higher MP or the uber video model (or both) that can do 8k and downsample to 4k.

I think Nikon has debunked the need for a smaller sensor for faster readout as the Z9 is 45mp and FX size and a beast without a mechanical shutter!
Truth is we don't really know. My hope would be that both would be BSI stacked with a fast enough readout to eliminate/reduce rolling shutter.

Still makes little sense to me to have 2 XH2's though. Why not leave the sports/stills centric niche to the XT4 and the XH2 could either be higher MP or the uber video model (or both) that can do 8k and downsample to 4k.
True. But even scaled down to APS-C, wouldn’t that sensor be a bit expensive for the X-H2? No real evidence for my thinking, of course. 🤓

True. But even scaled down to APS-C, wouldn’t that sensor be a bit expensive for the X-H2? No real evidence for my thinking, of course. 🤓

Oh, we are just positing some theories back and forth...we allowed to be nerdy! :D

I mean, it could be but I'm not sure we know what Fuji is thinking. They have done some "weird" stuff in the past that they never really explained, like still having the XT3 and XT4 as co-flagships, or even the XT3/XH1 as co flagships for a while.

Then they give us a non-retro looking XS10 with IBIS.

This may be another pivot for them.

I mean, it could be but I'm not sure we know what Fuji is thinking. They have done some "weird" stuff in the past that they never really explained, like still having the XT3 and XT4 as co-flagships, or even the XT3/XH1 as co flagships for a while.
It makes sense because they designed XT4 to be completely unusable (the articulating screen) so they ran the usable XT3 on the side.

A pro Fuji with a Bayer sensor might be fun.

Sorry about my tongue-in-cheek joke. I'll retire it, probably got stale a few years ago already.
Unfortunately it’s hard to tell sometimes if something is done in jest or seriousness with written text. There were more than enough people who deemed the X-Pro3 unusable because of the rear screen implementation that were in the serious camp.

IIRC there is no CFA on the monochrome sensors.

I can't see why Fuji would would add one, if they did... why even bother? Just convert from color. IMHO and YMMV.

Fujifilm is known for Xtrans and their film simulations, and both are useless or nonapplicable with a sensor without CFA.

The benefits are there -- more light gets to the sensor, and crisper files due to not having to demosaic the files, but it doesn't scream Fujifilm product strategy at all to me. :)

Question: Does an X-Trans B&W make sense? Can they tone the RGB pixels differently?

The only way I see a B&W only Fuji making sense. Is if Fuji comes out with a bunch of B&W film simulations which are only available only. Speaking of, the Acros film simulation works very well on the current Fuji sensors. So there is no reason why it wouldn't work on a X-Trans B&W only sensor.

I think another possibility would be the implementation offered by Sony, where one sensor is optimized for resolution and another one is optimized for dynamic range (of maybe some other variable) .....for people who don't need more Mega Pickles.

I think another possibility would be the implementation offered by Sony, where one sensor is optimized for resolution and another one is optimized for dynamic range (of maybe some other variable) .....for people who don't need more Mega Pickles.
Sports/action/wildlife and portrait/fashion/landscape would be the normal split for different sensors. With Wedding photographers getting one of each for different purposes. Canon used to do this in the 1D series years ago. And as you mentioned, Sony is doing it now.

Back