Fuji X-M1 and new lenses samples

9645227493_1f67478592_c.jpg

DSCF2116 by ricopress, on Flickr

First test shot with my new old Helios 44M-4 lens. Got it for 16 pounds on eBay from the UK, plus shipping, plus a Novoflex M42 adapter that was 4 times as expensive as the lens. ;)

I love it, 16mm is much more relevant to me than 18mm, and I am not missing the 55mm of the heavier and more expensive older kit zoom, 50mm is just as okay for me.

:daz: Oh, Rico.... I am so indecisive! Basically, my "problem" is that I moved in May and am living in a house that is under renovation...and have been very lazy and really only using my - dare I say it - iPhone for photography and using Snapseed...but truth be told, I like it! Though the second truth be told is that it would be a helluvalot easier to see what I'm doing on an iPad, which I don't have.

Honestly, I should be happy with what I have - when I was using my X100 and X10, I believe I got great results. But let's face it, we all enjoy new forms of expression.

I look forward to your Xpert review of the X-A1!:biggrin_old:

Black and silver.:cool_old:

I am thinking red and silver, with silver lenses. Think of the XF1 in red as a template. It looks so much nicer than the leaked blue image on Fujirumors. Unfortunately, the X-A1 won't be officially announced this week at IFA, so patience remains king.

Hmm, I've never owned a colorful camera. I'll give it some thought, Rico...but I tend towards the classic look.

Either way, it will be fun and interesting to see what this new little sibling will be all about.

Just tried some stuff with the trial version of Photo Ninja from my trip to Longwood Gardens of Friday with the X-M1. Down at the pixel level Photo Ninja did MUCH better with details in the greenery, as well a few other areas, when compared with Lightroom 5.2.

Although I've been using the RAW conversion in Lightroom, I don't feel it's quite as nice as the in-camera conversions. I'll have to try some 3-way stuff doing a RAW, in-camera JPG, and conversions by the two programs with some of my material I like to print. It'll be interesting to see where each RAW conversion (including in camera) shines.

Photo Ninja offers better demosaicing not only for X-Trans, but also for Bayer. It easily beats the built-in JPEG engines, and it easily beats Lightroom, for both CFAs.

I spent a major part of this weekend testing Photo Ninja and exchanging notes with Jim (the brain behind PN), and I am now in the happy position to have a prerelease version of PN that supports the X-M1 and the X-A1.

Obviously, I have already redeveloped some of my shootout samples in PN, and as expected, the lacking AA filter clearly shows, there's more clarity, more detail, even the noise at ISO 6400 is more refined (I completely turned off all luminance NR for these samples).

10123996633_f34f6480a1_c.jpg

10123818754_1b34875e01_c.jpg

10126230194_e4de9a2dec_c.jpg

10126340094_294c294873_c.jpg

10126682183_352e5a4d46_c.jpg

Very nice. In my shots I saw three things that were better in Photo Ninja vs. Lightroom with my "best attempts" in each (although I haven't done very many images yet)

• Very small patches of color might be washed out in Lightroom or suffer from adjacent or surround color bleed that seems to shift the color. PN is better.
  • Ditto edges of changing color I see less bleed in PN.
  • Certain areas of monochromatic detail (like the famous greens) did show some luminance smearing as well and those are almost non-existent in Photo Ninja.
In short, everything looks better and I'm thinking I'll be buying PN long before the trial is up, lol. For my big prints, it will be the bomb and let me have the security of RAW shooting, and the full rendering advantage of the X-Trans.

Thanks for demonstrating this -- it's going to be a great addition to my toolbox.

Interesting - I'll check out Photo Ninja with some of my shots as well. I hate to lose my all-in-one workflow with LR but if it can do better with foliage details it may be worth it at least for when I'm processing X-trans landscapes.

Back