Fuji X-M1 vs X-A1, I know

lezshoot

I've seen the reviews(well most of them were for the X-M1), and seen the talk, but I been lurking and noticed someone said they both cost the same. I did a search and both cameras do cost the same. So the question is, which one for just general travel, people, and light sports photography?

First, welcome!

Secondly, Rico has made your life easier, thus: X-A1 vs. X-M1: the Shootout - Fuji Rumors

Personally, I can only speak for the X-M1 which I ran alongside an X-E1 for a while. I chose the M, because I wanted to make my life simpler and go with an X-Trans only workflow. I think that all other things being equal, in practical, real-world shooting, what you do with the files is actually more telling than the sensor behind the lens. For your stated uses, I think you could choose either and get the results you want, although I would have to say that it might be worth your saving your money for a little while longer and going for a "run-out" X-E1 which is an all-around more accomplished and more flexible camera than either the A or the M.

if you don't mind me asking how so I the X-E1 more accomplished and flexible? I know there it has an EVF, but the larger tilting display of the newer model does have it's own advantage.IQ is pretty much the same(at least with the X-M1); and I think the newer models have a slightly faster AF(with some tracking option?) vs the X-E1 even with the firmware updates?

The viewfinder on the X-E1 is a, if not the, major plus for me. I am not a fan of rear-screen focusing and actively dislike tilty screens to the extent that the one on my X-T1 is taped - to me, like a clip-on EVF it's just something to snag on your clothing, break and go wrong.

Remember that the original price point of the X-E1 was many beans more than the A or the M - that differential bought you more than just an EVF; from personal experience the X-E1 is more substantial, with a more comfortable grip which in turn makes it more usable with longer lenses. The X-M1 gets a mode dial in place of a shutter speed dial, and also loses the exposure compensation dial.

Overall I would take an X-E1 over an M or an A every time - the only advantages - for me at least - were the lower value and reduced bulk - having the EVF is essential - for me - on an interchangeable-lens serious compact.

Hope this helps!

Back