Fuji X-Pert Corner TOC

In the queue for the new 35, MASSIVELY disappointed by the usage limitations of the 1.4 converter. Other manufacturers manage a more generally useful 1.4 - why not Fuji?

Very, very interesting. If I didn't already own the 35 1.4, I'm not sure which I'd go for. Probably the 1.4, because the optics are so incredibly good, and extra stop is always welcome. And while the f2 lens is smaller, the 1.4 is by no means a large lens, so that's only a relative victory, not an absolute one. I feel like for X-T1 / X-T10 owners, it's a toss-up, while for X Pro 1(2) owners, the f2 is the clear choice.

Hi Rico,

Do you mind if I ask you some questions about the new Pro2?

Are the front and rear scroll dials made of metal? I realise this is fairly inconsequential, but IMO the plastic real dial on the Pro1 is by far the cheapest feeling part!

In your review (which I really enjoyed reading, thanks very much for writing it) you mention that the OVF can now be used with the 90 and 135/140 zooms.

Looking at the specs of the OVF the 2 magnification levels appear to be the same as the original model (give or take a fraction), so surely the framelines when using these longer lenses are very small?

In the review, you write

"Like the X-T10 and X100T (and unlike the X-T1), it uses very little compression to preserve as much image information as possible"

Could you expand on this a little please? What exactly is the T1 doing to its jpegs that other X cameras aren't? Much has been written about the comparison between SOOC jpegs from X-Trans I and II (my own personal take on it, is 'win some/lose some') but I think (IMO) it's fair to say that Trans II oput has more punch, and contrast, POSSIBLY at the expense of the shadow detail you get from Trans I

How would you say the X-Trans III stacks up when viewed in this way?

AF with the original primes. I own the 3 original primes, I realise that Fuji have newer and better ones :) however, I like these lenses. When I bought the T1 these lenses had a nice performance boost in conjunction with the PDAF pixels on the T1's sensor. Will these lenses get another lease of life on the P2 or is the performance of these (non internal element focusing) lenses about topped out with the incumbent tech of the T1?

Most of the previews I've read, labour the point of how much better the P2 is than the P1 (kinda obvious, no?) but for me, and I suspect many other users, how much better is the P2 than the T1 that many of us have bought? From what I've read, the P2 reads like a composite of all the good bits from both the T1 and the P1 (plus the good bits from the 100T as well), but is the resultant product significantly greater that it's constituent parts, or more like the child of a P1 and T1, I'm speaking operationally, I appreciate the new sensor will provide IQ improvements.

Thanks very much for time.

I reckon it's the same "better" compression as in the X30, X100T, X-T10 (and probably X-A2). Newer cameras, less JPEG compression. It will be interesting to see how the new X-E2S compresses JPEGs.

Rico sir ,
Any idea if x100 series coming up with a 35mm lens ( 50mm equivalent ) in coming future ? Or the x100 series will be always a 23mm only offering ?

I would guess that the available wide (28 equiv) and tele converters (50mm equiv) negate the need to build a whole new focal length at 50 equiv...
Inspite of the WCL converter Fuji did launch the x70 , hence thought maybe they might think about launching a 35mm x100 .

Inspite of the WCL converter Fuji did launch the x70 , hence thought maybe they might think about launching a 35mm x100 .
The X70 shares the X100 series sensor, yes, but it...

- is a stop slower
- has no OVF
- has no EVF

So I think they might someday potentially make something like an X80, let's call it, that maybe had a permanent 50mm equiv lens and the same setup as the X70, but the 50mm focal length is just not as popular to sell in big enough numbers, compared to a 28 or 35. Some people would like it -hell I might - but there's not enough of us, I wouldn't think. And they'd never do it in the X100 format, given the converters.

The X70 shares the X100 series sensor, yes, but it...

- is a stop slower
- has no OVF
- has no EVF

So I think they might someday potentially make something like an X80, let's call it, that maybe had a permanent 50mm equiv lens and the same setup as the X70, but the 50mm focal length is just not as popular to sell in big enough numbers, compared to a 28 or 35. Some people would like it -hell I might - but there's not enough of us, I wouldn't think. And they'd never do it in the X100 format, given the converters.
I love the x100t ,but iam more of a 50mm ( fov ) shooter ,I know there is the TCL , is there any image degradation using it ?

From what I've read, no. They're both supposed to be optically excellent. So it should be about like using the stock lens alone, quality-wise. It's physically bigger, of course.

Back