Fuji X-Pro 1 -or- XE-2 Dilemma

Went to the local Camera Store and saw a brand new XE-2, which I liked, and the focusing was indeed quite fast. Felt slightly small in my hands, but not terribly so.

They also had a used X-Pro 1 that was in great shape- had the old version of Firmware, but the speed of the autofocus was snail-like. However, I plan on using some legacy Soviet-Era lenses.. MF only.. so that issue is not a deal-breaker. The X-Pro 1 was more substantial and better built.. and the optical VF might be used down the road when I use the Fuji lenses.

My decision making process completely stopped- because of one simple fact:

I don't know if the most important thing- Image Quality - would be the same between the two.. that is, will the newer sensor and enhancements drastically affect Image Quality?

Image quality will largely be the same. The big difference is that the EVF on the X-E2 is vastly better than the one in the XPro, and since that's what you'll be using for MF, the experience of shooting will be far better for you on the E2. It's by far the best X camera for manual focus.

Regarding the EVF on the XP1 I'm actually fine with it. I actually prefer it over the highly appraised overcontrasty hi-res EVF on my NEX-7 that's pretty much unuseable in low-light situations where that on my XP1 stays clear. Just make sure you're OK with the EVF lag, especially with moving subjects - I wouldn't want to miss the OVF on my XP1.

Regarding the sensors, from what I've heard the sensor in the E2 is pretty much the same, save for the pixels devoted to phase-detection. RAW files are 14 bit though, vs. 12 from the XP1, just in case.

The X-Pro1 is fast becoming 'old technology' - I'd go for the X-E2. That said the one which is most comfortable in your hands can be important.

I just posted this on another forum but so what. I've shot my Nikon F3 for almost 25 years until it found it's premature end on a bl...y rock in Iceland (R.I.P.) All that time I never felt the slightest need to upgrade. It did what it was supposed to do and never failed on me a single time until that very day. Now when it comes to cameras that's what I'm after personally - a capable, flexible, reliable! camera, not too bulky or heavy that does and delivers what it's supposed to - fast enough, repeatedly and reliably, so it slowly becomes a part of you and the handling second nature. I think and feel that after some years on my digital odyssey (Nikon, Sony, Olympus, Canon) I finally found my answer and above all peace of mind - camera and system wise. 2 years 'old' ?! - I couldn't care less - on the contrary, I got all I wanted and one of my best deals ever, lol.

Just my 2ct.

Oh boy- I just saw an image on Fuji's website (XE-2 w/ 10-24 zoom) which makes it easy to choose the XE-2:

Attachments

• mask.JPG
    mask.JPG
    242.1 KB · Views: 266
I was never a fan of the X-Pro1 but using the optical viewfinder with the leather case is just SO DREAMY.

I don't know what it is but seeing the lens in the bottom right hand corner and seeing a photo like peering through a window just does something to my brain and it fits so well into my hand.

ugh so very nice!

View attachment 3068

Well.. just pulled the trigger!

I ended up with going with the Fuji X-Pro1 instead of the XE-2. :biggrin_old:

The final decision is *actually* based on what is coming Jan 28th from Fuji- the X-TI.

I will look to augment my camera bag to have both the X-Pro1 shooting MF with trusted old glass, and the X-TI with AF Fuji & Zeiss glass.

This is actually a long term plan.. which should work well for my needs.

Thanks to all who shared their comments and suggestions.. I appreciated all of them.

announcement January 28th (trusted source)
bigger (extra-large) and better (high performance) EVF / (trusted + anonymous sources)
APS-C X-Trans sensor II (16MP) / (trusted + anonymous sources)
support for the UHS-II SD-card for super-fast writing speed / (trusted sources)
8fps with AF tracking / (trusted source)
weather sealed body / (trusted sources)
name: X-T1 / (anonymous source + Fujifilm)
FujicaST-like (SLR-type) design / (source who was right in the past, but not yet upgraded to trusted source)
price range between X-E and X-PRO line / (new and anonymous sources)
additional battery grip / (anonymous source)
faster AF then X-E2 / (new source)

Attachments

• xpro1.jpg
    xpro1.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 386
I never seriously considered the X-Pro, FWIW (I have an X-E1 and X-E2). After having used an X100s a little bit and reading around online, and after having owned and used another camera with an EVF (the Olympus EM-5) I knew that I didn't have any real need for an OVF. The X-E1 and X-E2 have better EVFs, are smaller, have the same IQ, mount the same lenses, and are cheaper.

Seems like a total no-brainer to me, unless you have giant hands and need the bigger camera. Even then, an add-on grip could go some of the way towards mediating that.

I knew that I didn't have any real need for an OVF. The X-E1 and X-E2 have better EVFs, are smaller, have the same IQ, mount the same lenses, and are cheaper.

Seems like a total no-brainer to me, unless you have giant hands and need the bigger camera. Even then, an add-on grip could go some of the way towards mediating that.

Well.. the ergonomics for me were a big consideration. I do have large hands and also purchased the Gariz half case and Thumbs Up to fit my hand better. The lens adapter gives me a good grasping/carrying taper as well.

Attachments

• DSC_7644.jpg
    DSC_7644.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 174
Back