Fuji X-PRO1 GAS

elandel

Regular
Hi all. I'm thinking about the Xpro1 which I would like to buy because I love its form factor and has something that intrigues me in a way I'm not able to explain.
I already own the XT1 and XT20 so I know it maybe only a very bad gas attack but my question is: is it worth it? I mean is it a good camera with good IQ? I'm asking because I've read mixed feelings about this camera but the more I look at it the more I like it.
I will use it mainly for travel with primes so I'm wondering if it is suited for that use. I know the AF is not blisteringly fast but I think buildings do not move much:D and maybe even casual people photos should be fine.
Do you think its still a good buy?

The X-Pro1 is an exceptional camera. Like all Fuji cameras it is better today than it was the day it was introduced; in the particular case of the X-Pro1 it is significantly better. It is true to say that it is not as good as, nor as fast as, the X-Pro2 but it is still a formidable picture taking machine. It is ideal for use with primes, for travel and for what I call "considered photography". It is a tool for a sniper, not a machine gunner, and it is all the better for it.

The X-Pro1 is an exceptional camera. Like all Fuji cameras it is better today than it was the day it was introduced; in the particular case of the X-Pro1 it is significantly better. It is true to say that it is not as good as, nor as fast as, the X-Pro2 but it is still a formidable picture taking machine. It is ideal for use with primes, for travel and for what I call "considered photography". It is a tool for a sniper, not a machine gunner, and it is all the better for it.
Thank you. I'M more of a sniper than a machine gunner.
What about color rendering? Someone says it has better colors than the latest releases but I recon it's a subjective matter. Just wondering...

What Bill said!

In my opinion... the X-Pro1 has a few things that are better than the XP2

Just silly little things, but still things!

All the buttons are nice to push

In OVF mode, if you press menu the menu comes up on the LCD

The rubber eye doesn't fall off!

Some of the SOOC jpeg profiles are nicer than later cameras (PNS & Astia imho)

I've written heaps of stuff about the XP1 on my site, and it was easier to write about than the XP2 is!

(My XP1 narrative goes, people say the XP1 is bad, but it's not, compared too: people say the XP2 is good and it is)

I really don't see why you need another camera. Both the camera's you have are good for travel, primes, and " sniper".

Thank you. I'M more of a sniper than a machine gunner.
What about color rendering? Someone says it has better colors than the latest releases but I recon it's a subjective matter. Just wondering...

The SOOC jpegs are less contrasty and dare I say more filmic with softer colours

The raw is better on the later cameras, more acuity, colour depth and DR

Pretty much agree with everything said.

I bought an XP1 when it was released, four years later I am still shooting with an XP1 and it’s the only camera in my stable. After numerous firmware updates it is a completely different beast from when it was officially released.

The newer Fuji models are faster are no doubt faster, offer more features, etc.. But if you don’t need something superfast or can live without the extra features found in newer models, The XP1 is a mighty fine camera.

Probably because I am simple or because I shoot like a caveman, I don’t even make use of all the features the XP1 offers :p

Pretty much agree with everything said.

I bought an XP1 when it was released, four years later I am still shooting with an XP1 and it’s the only camera in my stable. After numerous firmware updates it is a completely different beast from when it was officially released.

The newer Fuji models are faster are no doubt faster, offer more features, etc.. But if you don’t need something superfast or can live without the extra features found in newer models, The XP1 is a mighty fine camera.

Probably because I am simple or because I shoot like a caveman, I don’t even make use of all the features the XP1 offers :p

I'm like you. I don't really use all the features these modern cameras have, to be honest I don't even know the most of them.
I have the XT1 and XT20 because I traded in some of my photographic gear and with a small difference in euro I got them. There was no xpro1 available. Even now it is hard to find them here in Italy at a decent price.

Will any of us be really familiar with all of the features of our present cameras before the next super specified all singing all dancing model is to be released?

I would really like to master my camera(X-T2), but realistically I can't see it happening! I would be quite happy to master the focusing system alone!

But I am also guilty having an itching wallet when a new model is available!

Fuji, deserves a pat on the back for it's continuing support for it's current and older equipment!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you're all being too hard on yourselves!

Have you ever taken a shot with your camera that you like?

If so, bingo - you nailed it.

IMO it's not really important if you used your deep understanding of the intricacies of (say) the various AF modes, whether you set everything to auto. You got the shot.

Modern cameras are very complex - but you don't have to know how everything works, just the stuff you care about and want to use, which will most likely come to you pretty quickly, because you're using it frequently

I think you're all being too hard on yourselves!

Have you ever taken a shot with your camera that you like?

If so, bingo - you nailed it.

IMO it's not really important if you used your deep understanding of the intricacies of (say) the various AF modes, whether you set everything to auto. You got the shot.

Modern cameras are very complex - but you don't have to know how everything works, just the stuff you care about and want to use, which will most likely come to you pretty quickly, because you're using it frequently

Thats right to some extend but I think GAS is also due to non mastering completely the camera and thinking that new models will make better photos or make you a better photographer. Its also true that GAS is independanto from skill I think ita something addicting.:D

That's interesting, I hadn't thought about a link between GAS and camera mastery...

New cameras models ARE better, typically they have more DR, more ISO, sometimes more shutter speed, better/more features etc

The catch is of course to understand that a greater envelope of performance doesn't make a better photograph or a better photographer... well outisde of specific requirements, eg if you shoot the moon with a 200mm lens, but then buy a 400mm one, then yes chances are your moon shots will be better, if you photography regularly sees you topping out the ISO at its native 6400, then a camera with 12800 or 25600 might be worth considering

With the possible exception of the Leica M240 to the M10, I can't think of any new cameras that have less stuff and require less mastery than their predecessors

So if (say) your X-T1 is a complex puzzle the fix for that won't be a X-T2

Sometimes GAS is anti feature... there's a few folk on rangefinder forums, that cashed out of Fuji to go Leica, using the logic that the X-Pro is "too complicated"

And I'm not having a go at them, go forth be happy!

But equally that's just "man maths" where you swap one camera with SS and Aperture dials for another that essentially works the same but costs a lot more

That's really the attraction of Fuji to me, it's as complex or as simple as you want. You can work the old way in full manual with a single AF point, and never really touch the menu or deploy all the various AF, metering, face detect yadayada modes

Aimed at NO ONE in particular, but there's innumerable puzzles and mysteries on the globe that you'll never get your head around, that no one will. Don't feel bad if every facet of your digital camera is one of them, learn the bits you need, and go and shoot.

(And I'm quite geeky, I like how things work! Yet I don't beat myself up over not knowing everything the camera can do)

Success and improvement often comes from working within limitations, FWIW IMO limiting my self to using the camera parameters that I best understand, I find that I can get what I need and feel like I'm in control.

But of course everyone else's mileage can and will vary

I've been tempted numerous times. I have a virtually unused XT10, bought an sold the X Pro 2 but still hanker for the original X Pro 1 that I took to New York in 2012 for my daughter's wedding. I just like the colour from it so much better....

I've been tempted numerous times. I have a virtually unused XT10, bought an sold the X Pro 2 but still hanker for the original X Pro 1 that I took to New York in 2012 for my daughter's wedding. I just like the colour from it so much better....

IMO That's not really GAS per se, that's the not the desire for something new and shiny for no other reason than newness, shininess and cos the press told you too, that's a clear and specific thing that you want and will achieve if you do it.

That's interesting, I hadn't thought about a link between GAS and camera mastery...

New cameras models ARE better, typically they have more DR, more ISO, sometimes more shutter speed, better/more features etc

The catch is of course to understand that a greater envelope of performance doesn't make a better photograph or a better photographer... well outisde of specific requirements, eg if you shoot the moon with a 200mm lens, but then buy a 400mm one, then yes chances are your moon shots will be better, if you photography regularly sees you topping out the ISO at its native 6400, then a camera with 12800 or 25600 might be worth considering

With the possible exception of the Leica M240 to the M10, I can't think of any new cameras that have less stuff and require less mastery than their predecessors

So if (say) your X-T1 is a complex puzzle the fix for that won't be a X-T2

Sometimes GAS is anti feature... there's a few folk on rangefinder forums, that cashed out of Fuji to go Leica, using the logic that the X-Pro is "too complicated"

And I'm not having a go at them, go forth be happy!

But equally that's just "man maths" where you swap one camera with SS and Aperture dials for another that essentially works the same but costs a lot more

That's really the attraction of Fuji to me, it's as complex or as simple as you want. You can work the old way in full manual with a single AF point, and never really touch the menu or deploy all the various AF, metering, face detect yadayada modes

Aimed at NO ONE in particular, but there's innumerable puzzles and mysteries on the globe that you'll never get your head around, that no one will. Don't feel bad if every facet of your digital camera is one of them, learn the bits you need, and go and shoot.

(And I'm quite geeky, I like how things work! Yet I don't beat myself up over not knowing everything the camera can do)

Success and improvement often comes from working within limitations, FWIW IMO limiting my self to using the camera parameters that I best understand, I find that I can get what I need and feel like I'm in control.

But of course everyone else's mileage can and will vary

It sure sure isn't me who wants to master all the features of a camera. I'm lazy so I only use the features I need, but I'm also curious so I like to know what and how the camera can do even if I'll never use the specific feature.
I want an xpro1 for the colours that are said to be more near to film days ore something like that. Well, believe me, here in Italy it's difficult to find an used one in decent condition.

Back